Question: Apprenticeship - how does it work in your country?

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
When i began my apprenticeship in London i filled in an "indenture" paper.
Unfortunately unbeknown to me at the time my employer failed to file it :beat up:

Therefore i have no formal proof of completing my training, and have had to prove myself as well as use references from satified goldsmiths.

These days, certain professionals ie: electricians must have a certificate in order to prove they are certified.
Wonder how i could go about proving my authenticity at this late stage.

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
As an engraver in the US, I'm just another "cowboy" without an apprenticeship, but I did go through a lengthy and rigorous apprenticeship as a tattoo artist. The benefits that I enjoy from being apprenticed are that little edge of confidence that I get from knowing that I am doing it the right way, as opposed to just guessing that what I am doing looks right. I can also trace my "tattoo lineage" back to before electricity was involved in tattooing-granted that isn't all that long compared to some of the engraving "families" in Europe, but being apprenticed is more for my own piece of mind, not as a selling point or honorific title. I think the classes that various engraver here in the US offer are like little micro-apprenticeships made for the modern day where people don't have the time or luxury of working for free, or for room and board for several years as they learn.

ARM2

Are there apprenticeships, which needs a control (schools, examinations and so on) by administration (e.g. a Doctor, a policeman, a teacher)? Are there trades, which are free from all regulations - like: "i want to be an engraver, so i am one by now"?
Mario - curious :)[/QUOTE]

MARIO
In South Africa, historically we followed Europe, and more specifically Britain.
Doctors, after passing their University Degrees, had to serve an internship at a Government hospital those days. Today they have to do a years extra of Community service, just like our Pharmicists as well.
All the TRADES like Plumbers, Electricians, Motor Mechanics, etc have an specified Apprenticeship period. Four, Five years.
I know there are Jewellery courses offered at some of our Technical Colleges. I don't think there are any Engraving classes offered anywhere in our Country. The two Engravers in the Country are both from Austria. There are others now who are local who have been self-taught, I am sure.
We wanted our son to do Gunsmithing and started out looking for an TOOL & DIE MAKERS apprenticeship, to no avail. We switched that to PLUMBING, also with no success. He eventually learnt welding, tried that for a while and finally settled with Custom KNIFEMAKING. You see it was just sad that we had the wrong skin COLOUR. That was what mattered in the old days. Today when there are opportunities aplenty, these kids are too busy BURNING LIBRARIES, SCHOOLS and even UNIVERSITY DORMITORIES !!!
I am pretty certain, and it's no wonder, we have the highest UN-EMPLOYMENT rate in the world.
aRM

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for the answers. I receive the impression, that in most countries an apprenticeship (by guilds, administration, schools, masters, whatever) is desirable. A least common denominator for each trade isn't bad.
It is notably that people from the same trade search for others from their trade. Fewest live on an island and don't want any contact to other.

Chapi, your "little micro-apprenticeships" hits it. I think this model came up more and more.

Chris, do you need this papers after all the years, you don't?

Andrew, thank you for the link. I have read, it took them (jewelers) 8,000 hours, that is akin to us here, to become a journeyman.

Gemsetterchris

Elite Cafe Member
Chris, do you need this papers after all the years, you don't?

I guess not :big grin:
Although i know an electrician older & more experienced forced out for lack of papers with the new rules.

Luckily jewellery & engraving are not "important" that could cost a life.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Okay Mario, I now understand your question better about apprenticeship.
When I started no apprenticeship was needed to start a shop and being a goldsmith having a registered "Master Stamp"
Even to be a diamond trader, diamond/stone setter, engraver, you don't have to prove you know your job.
For watch repair you have to, also for optician.
If want to become a house painter, you can do it also without apprenticeship.
Besides I'm a goldsmith, diamond trader, I'm also a publisher, as also that is free.
When I started on my own, just like all who want to start a self-employed job, need an BTW (tax number) and has to go to the "self-employed register" toi write down by hand what he will be doing. To do that the "Trade Register" has heavy books with numbers on each occupation.
So you have to write them exactly like that on the paper that will be your "Trade Register certificate". Just writing down "all that is allowed" is not good enough. You have to find out yourself what is allowed for you.
So one can be self-employed in a lot of things at the same time. SQo if you also write down "making tattoo's" also, one is a publisher, goldsmith stone-setter tattoo-maker engraver gardener painter musician etc.

hope this answers your question better, arnaud