Art supplies

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
I'm looking for a place to get fine line markers that are suitable for our style work. Writing on metal, paper whatever. I've tried Sharpies, they tend to bleed a lot and are not as fine as I would like. I've spent a pile of time in office & art places here in Ontario with little to show for the fuel wasted. Also looking for a metal or cast lead pointer or lead sharpener. Checked Dick Blicks they have many pens but not a cast sharpener. It would be nice to get them all at the same place.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Quickcut, I myself gave up on the markers because they have delicate points and the least pressure and U got a fat line. The tips seem to get "fuzzy". Try an art pencil in the 6h range or higher. They can be sharpened real easy , last long and can be used on Chinese white or the tallow/beeswax combo.
They also give a much thinner line to follow essential to good cutting imho.
Kent

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Sakura Micron 01 works well. You must make sure it is the WATERPROOF one. The lettering is black on the pen. Also I take the Sharpie micro fine pen and "sharpen" it on my power hone. Seems to work well also.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
WOW!!!! I honestly had not thought of sharpening a sharpie. I just walked away from my power hone. Had to test out Paul' s new fixture, it just arrived. It's an absalute dream to use. Don't think the sharpie will fit in it, but I'll figure a way through it. Thank you for the time and advise.
I use a pencil many times, but some surfaces don't show pencil well. Thank's all

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you for you reply, but we have never heard of Rotring. Could you tell us where we might find it in Canada? So far we're looking at having to bring it in from United States. We have been to all the art stores here, and most of the drafting stores and can't find a suitable pen. As soon as you say you need it to write on metal most say the nibs or tips or points won't handle it. Thanks Marcus and we are going to find out what a Rotring is.

AllanFink1960

Rotring is a brand of technical pen for drafting. Competitive/related brands of tech pen would be:
Staedtler - Marsmatic series 700
Koh-I-Noor - Rapid-o-graph
Alvin also makes tech pens but I dont know what they call them.

You could probably buy any of these and put drafting ink in them that is made for mylar (plastic sheets for drawing on). The ink has a high shelack content tho so you have to keep them clean. You cant leave it sit overnight with ink in them or they dry out and plug up. I have been wondering about doing that myself after seeing postings about drawing on metal but I havent tried it yet. If you degrease the metal first, I cant see why it would not work. Anyone on here had any luck with this?

Tezash

Marker

There is one in Hobby Lobby with size 0.1 that I bought, it is marking on metal, but it is thick more than 0.1, you may try it.

Tez.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the advice and information. It is greatly appreciated. It is unreal how much time I've put in trying to find adequate marking instruments. I finally broke down and headed over to Michigan and continued
the search. The first graphic store I was in was out of everything in the way of thin markers, they had lots of pencils and looked at me kind of cross eyed when I asked about a Rotring. We ran into a Hobby Lobby and found some .1 Itoya markers bought everyone they had on the shelf. Thanks again for the advice, I'm going to place an order for some others supplies and investigate the danialsmith.com website.

Latest posts

Sponsors