background, beading punch?

B_H

In examining various background treatments for scrollwork, I have seen what appears to be a beading punch used to make a very uniform background. Only being able to see it in photographs of overall design I miss the mechanics of making this pattern. I made what I surmised was the appropriate tool from #30 drill rod for experimentation. After re-hardening and playing around with different wall thicknesses surrounding the center depression (the "bead" in negative), I have displaced material that makes getting "beads" closer together and uniform in appearance. I am sure that this tool is available commercially, and there is very simple answer to my question. If in fact this is done with a punch, how do you get the beads so close together that there does not seem to be a separation between them? where does the wall thickness of the punch go? Am I missing the mark? or does it just appear like they are that close and under magnification there is a separation. After making 4 or 5 different tools with differing bead depths and shapes, and experimenting with hammer blows of differing strengths I am still scratching my head. Thanks for any help you can give a newcommer.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
BH , you might be referring to a stippled background wherein the background metal is removed & background leveled off then stippled with a needle sharp "punch". When done correctly the background should look matt or non-reflective.
I may be missing something & others here more with lots more xperience will fill in the gaps.
Kent

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
B.H.

You can buy a nice set of three steel "dot punches" in three different tip diameters from Ngraver Co. These work fine on steel and seem to stay sharp for quite a while. The whole set only costs $9.75, so making you own seems like too much work for the frustration factor.

Mark

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I got the set of beading punches from Mr Phillips quite a few years ago and they have been very good to me. Of course, I don't use them every day, but they are good, and cheap enough to get more if you need to.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everyone,
I've not use the set from Ngraver. Are they hardier than the Swiss beading tools form Gesswein. The cost difference seems
to be around 2-1. I would assume they have a larger shaft.
Jim

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been buying my dot punches from Ray Phillips for a gazillion years now. Always had trouble making good ones myself and I just get them from him a dozen at a time. Good guy to deal with and I've been very pleased with the punches.

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
BH: I think what your referring to is two different types of background treatments. One being a punch which is referred to on Igraver as a point slightly rounded. That would give a sanded type even finish. The other being a beading tool which would be a positive bead background when punched the background must be flatter and even to apply. This will give the appearance of leather when applied properly.
Mike