Background punches , A die guys view

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
I read with interest the "matting punches" thread, and decided to share a photo of some of the punches I use occasionally for backgrounds on steel dies. There are no single bead punches here, but I do use them. I also make downsize punches similar to these for the Gravermax. When I have a large area to texture. the Gravermax really helps. The two ways I make punches are to either apply the texture directly to the punch, or by using a die or hob of another punch. This is all done in soft steel, of course, then hardened. I usually have a mounted heavy duty drill chuck in a jig on my bench when making punches. This is great for holding punches to work on. I use whatever tool I need to do the job and this includes chisels, gravers, flexshaft, needle files, ruby stones, die maker stones, hardened sculpting tools and other punches. A lot of the tricks mentioned are ones I have also tried, plus a few others, but that would take a book. Maybe some of these punches will inspire someone else to expand their punch collection. Mine is just shy of 2,000.

Attachments

• punches for backgroud.jpg
    punches for backgroud.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 168

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Steve, that is an awesome picture! And just a sample of the total lot. Inspiring!

Thank you for posting!

Gary