Bad looking intersecting cuts

alfrisillo

I am making an attempt at being a respectable (in my mind) engraver. When looking under the microscope, my intersecting cuts such as defining the top part of a leaf where two cuts come together, look really ugly. I have even tried scribing squares and hexagons to engrave for practice but don't seem to be making a lot of headway. I have been using a square graver with 45 and 55 degree face and 15 degree heel. Even tried a 70 degree graver without too much success in cleaning up my act. Is there a techique that I don't know about to clean up these joining/intersecting cuts?
Thanks, Al

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
its called back cutting

not all lines have to intersect
those that do can be cut from either direction
and usually are by necessity
pay attention to the differnce of the line quality from entry to exit - match accordingly

forget heel and face for now and concentrate on starting and stopping your graver tip and flicking out the cut

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Al, how have you been? Can you take some closeup pics and post them? It would make it much easier for the pros here to diagnose the problem and give you the correct advice. Please email me when you get a chance, I have some great news for ya. David

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Al,
Glad to see you on as well!
As coincutter said, you need to back cut. Just do it a little at a time.
The catch is to stop at the "right" time an not cut too far, but just far enough. It might take a couple attempts from both directions to get it right.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
practice this on a piece of scrap it gets real easy, but if you're like me,( heavy handed) that's a habit you have to get under control. best to control it on scraps, not a real job.stop before you intersect, or you're gonna go too far. i seldom do back cuts, i'm usually better at slamming on the brakes and lifting up at just the right moment it gets to be done without thinkin about it, but practice is the only way to get there.