Critique Request Bamboo charm

Mattymo

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thread starter #1
E6115B64-7D25-4973-8CCF-03EED5E7C6D9.jpeg
Spent more time on balancing the design more than I’d like to admit, but made a bamboo charm at my old lady’s request for our anniversary. She likes the simple designs and I had such a hard time resisting more or trying not to complicate it, lol. On next to my first attempt at gold inlay and overlay with a charm about the same size and going to have a much more detailed flower, so I’m excited. Hope everyone’s having a good one.

conceptually i love the idea and visually i really like the contrast and most of the cuts seem to be fairly even as far as depth. i would say for a small charm without going super crazy i think it looks good. on a criticism note if you were going for a more realistic idea of bamboo keep in mind that at the junctions between segments the bamboo tends to be larger and have a sort of hump in them. That's just being nit-picky though i have attached a photo of similar looking bamboo for reference. however, as i said before i do admire the work and the vision :thumbsup:

Attachments

Mattymo

:::Pledge Member:::
Thread starter #4
I agree with both of you, I was struggling not making the nodes pointy so I opted for the shadow looks, which could be improved on and the leaves would have looked better larger. If there is a next time I’m gonna buy a small bamboo plant for reference. Thanks for looking. Now I can move onto a project with alot more layers and scrolls.

monk

Staff member
I agree with both of you, I was struggling not making the nodes pointy so I opted for the shadow looks, which could be improved on and the leaves would have looked better larger. If there is a next time I’m gonna buy a small bamboo plant for reference. Thanks for looking. Now I can move onto a project with alot more layers and scrolls.
save yer money. there's tons of bamboo images to be found in google "images". color, b&w, as well as line drawings. i don't mean to copy, but just for reference.

Sponsors