Basic Tools and carving coins..

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
The reason i,m posting this coin i just finished is to show beginners what they can do with a #36 flat hand push graver, a burnisher, a stipple tool and sandpaper..What can be cheaper than a jefferson nickel to pratice on...

Attachments

• MVC-004F.JPG
    MVC-004F.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 229

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
Well Bill i dont think i can do that lol...mine look more like a bad frankenstien... Very nice coin

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Don't pay attention to the man with the most tools,
Look out for the man with just the basics!:D who makes beauty!
(nothing wrong wit nice tools though (said the tool addict))

I have admired the skills of blacksmiths, goldsmiths and silversmiths in Indonesia.
They make very beutifull things with the most basic of tools. Not my taste, but that is another story.

Very well done Bill,
I respect that!

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Don't pay attention to the man with the most tools,
Look out for the man with just the basics!:D who makes beauty!
(nothing wrong wit nice tools though (said the tool addict))

I have admired the skills of blacksmiths, goldsmiths and silversmiths in Indonesia.
They make very beutifull things with the most basic of tools. Not my taste, but that is another story.

Very well done Bill,
I respect that!
Daniel
I,ve a fully equipped shop, with a gravermax, grs vises, powerhone, microscope, in fact i,ve two of each, but a beginner can engrave coins with basic tools, my first gravers were reshaped concrete nails, on the coin i showed here the stippling can be done by a air assisted stipple 95% faster than by hand, but the results are the same or should be....Some of the coin carving Steve Adams does by hand is amazing..When i state by hand i mean not using a air tool..My main goal is to encourage people to use what tools they have on hand and then invest in better tools..

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
billzach, you missed your calling. your coins always look better than the ones those nitwits at the us mint turn out !

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Bill,

That was not my point.
I never thougt you wouldn't have a fully equipped studio.

What is said about the Gravemach is that the learning curve is a lot shorter.
Short for, learning with the basic tools takes a lot more skill.
I learned stone setting the old school way. Since four months I've got the grave max and microscope at work (my desire for the last 10 years).
When the power failes, I'll be able to set stone's by candle light. Ofcourse this new equipment is very welcome, but if you learn with modern electric tools you canot fall back on old school ways as easily.
The other way around is simple.
Your main goal is the one apreciated by my post! :)

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Bill,

That was not my point.
I never thougt you wouldn't have a fully equipped studio.

What is said about the Gravemach is that the learning curve is a lot shorter.
Short for, learning with the basic tools takes a lot more skill.
I learned stone setting the old school way. Since four months I've got the grave max and microscope at work (my desire for the last 10 years).
When the power failes, I'll be able to set stone's by candle light. Ofcourse this new equipment is very welcome, but if you learn with modern electric tools you canot fall back on old school ways as easily.
The other way around is simple.
Your main goal is the one apreciated by my post! :)

Daniel
I think taking a engraving school and learning how to use air assisted tools takes years off learning to engrave as per learning on your own and allows some people to engrave that otherwise would have gave up.It is good like you say, when the power fails we can fall back on our push gravers

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Well Bill I have to jump in and disagree with you
If my power graving capability dies I am not push cutting these stupid coins
its too much work

Steve
Six of my eleven years of carving coins were by hand push gravers only and the last five have been by hand and air assisted tools..There,s just something about using push gravers that draws me..The big callus on my finger looks weird where the push graver rides on it, sorta like a marble on the side of my finger...

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
I dont envy you one bit
I have done a few with hammer and chisle and its not fun
I tried the push graver routine and gave that up in a hurry
I am a wus
I am leaning more towards carving knives for a while and see what shakes out
SOmething about turning stainless into something kewl has a facination
compared to the nickel i think it will be a PITA and not as pretty but there is a lot more room for expression

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
I dont envy you one bit
I have done a few with hammer and chisle and its not fun
I tried the push graver routine and gave that up in a hurry
I am a wus
I am leaning more towards carving knives for a while and see what shakes out
SOmething about turning stainless into something kewl has a facination
compared to the nickel i think it will be a PITA and not as pretty but there is a lot more room for expression

Steve
I,ve been saying for 2 years that i,m getting ready to start engraving grip caps and floor plates, but it seems i end up carving coins everyweek...You have the talent to engrave anything you set your mind to and i think we,ll see some great engraved knifes by you..

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Flatery will get you everywhere
my problem is all these stinkin AU nicks i have
have to use them up as they werent cheap
and there is a heck of a lot of them

walrafen

I agree with Glen... you are amazing Bill!

I could post as many Bill Jameson carved coins as this mechanism would permit but a couple of his most recent ones should suffice to illustrate my admiration. Check out Cyrano de Bergerac and Reverend Samson Occom. I just tried to post several carved nickels in the Photo Gallery but the learning curve defeated me. I was trying to show off Sam's most recent creation Abul-Abbas but failed to get the job done. The artistic conceptualization, layout/design, engraving/execution are typical "Sam Alfano"... what more needs to be said, besides "THANKS Sam!" -Verne

Attachments

• cyrano0.jpg
    cyrano0.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 432o.jpg
    432o.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 54
  • abul0.jpg
    abul0.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 85

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
As always, Bill does great work, and when Sam finds time to carve, the results are excellent. Love the carving, Sam. What I find interesting about hobo nickels is how much of the background and personality of the artist comes through. After a while, you begin to recognize the work of each carver, and in my professional trade, it is much the same. Do the gun and knife engravers recognize each others work?

Last edited:

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Knife and gun

I think they do know each others work at a certain level of expertice. There are a few who have a distinctive style which sets them far ahead and apart from the crowd. It's just my opinion but to me 90 percent of the work looks the same. Scrolls and patterns that have been cut and recut for ever or pieces cut to mimic the styles of others.

I had supper with Amayak Stepanyan not too long ago and had a chance to see his portfolio. There is no way anyone would not recognise his work as being unique. Ray Cover is another Avant-garde designer.
But now I see others begining to copy their styles. It's a small crowd of makers and they play with a small crowd of cutters. Just like the nickel world - everyone pretty much recognises each others styles of cutting.

I spoke to a fellow the other day who said he had purchased a nickel that looked like it was one of my works. The only thing was it had someone elses name on it. Same style of execution similar tooling. Copy cat? No. Just one of those people I am helping over the net to learn to carve nickels. A very sincere form a flatery it was and it's nice to know that the art will continue on.

Now I have to go come up with a new nickel and different way of doing things or I will get lost in the melée.

walrafen

It is turning into a GREAT fall!

Sam Alfano dropped a real gem carved nickel on me and now James Olivencia has has weighed in with his own masterpiece. Check out Ozawkie Watertower. I am looking forward to showing off some of my recent acquisitions at the GRS Masters Weekend in Emporia in mid-October!

Attachments

• wt280b.jpg
    wt280b.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 81

Latest posts

Sponsors