Belt buckle

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Here is a buckle I just finished. I am happy with it but it is not perfect by any means. Soldering is still a struggle, I do fine on med. and easy solder, but the hard really gives my fits, its a real fine line between getting it to flow and melting the silver, I am contemplating not using it any more and sticking with the lower temp. solders. Th other problem may be pilot error, as I move my engraving in other directions I don't get enough practice to really getting good at soldering. Anyway let me know what you think. You buckle guys can see things I don't know to look for, so tell me if you see something I need to do different. Thanks Brian
P.S. I also made the belt.

MARLON

Nice work! The brite cut is super. Soldering looks fine too. How long have you been at this kind of work?

Andrew Biggs

Hi Brian

That's a stunning buckle. The bright cuts are beautiful

You have my sympathies on the hard soldering side of things. If you think that you have problems with it you should see my efforts. John B intoduced me to low temp solders that I didn't even know existed till I stayed with him.

Cheers
Andrew

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i like your engraving- great buckle. i agree soldering silver with the real solder is a study in nervous restraint !
that's why i never repair jewelry any more. especially for nonpaying relatives--especially !

cowboy_silversmith

Elite Cafe Member
Brian- I can tell you put forth a very conscientious effort in building and engraving this buckle. It appears in the picture that the soldering is clean. You applied a nice engraving pattern with your scrolls along with nice bright cutting. How many buckles have you fabricated and engraved? I hope to see more of you handiwork posted in the future.

Best Regards,
Greg Pauline

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, for the good reviews. This is my 5th buckle, I have done 3 three piece sets and one other trophy style buckle. I do some saddle trim silver for my custom saddles, but generally its pretty straight forward stuff like soldering screws on the back of conchos, solder a brand onto a cantle plate, things like that. So when I get into a job that has many parts that have to all line up, like domes and edge wire I get nervous. I started diong the silver about 2 1/2 yrs ago, the same time I started engraving. Doing trim for my saddles was the reason I started engraving, I had no idea the doors it would open for me and the direction it would take me. Gold inlaid mermaids on custom knives? 2yrs ago I did'nt even know people made custom knives and I certainly had no desire to draw a mermaid, a bucking horse sure, but not a mermaid. Life is funny, and think all you have to do is show up everyday.:) Brian

bitmaker

I love the scroll layout. I usully leave the background behind brands smooth. What do you use to stipplle the background?

D.DOUGLAS

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, this buckle looks very nice. The belt is also very impressive. Ive done a small amount of carving you have combined the two arts wonderfully. Doug

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
bitmaker, my stippling is done with a carbide punch with a sharp tip, the difference between my brightcut stipple and my relief background stipple, is my brightcut stipple has been sharpened at a more blunt angle. This makes the light reflect out of the crater rather than absorb the light like I want it to do in relief cutting. Brian

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would say you are well on your way Brian. Soldering overlays are definately challenging to say the least, but it looks very professional. Good Job!

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks great Brian. If the lower melt solder is working better for you then use it. Medium solder should be fine for items flat against the buckle. If you have something that may stand up or off high I would suggest a hard solder for strength. One thing with silver solder is make sure your surface is clean and flux twice. A scotch brite pad works great for surface prep.
Very nice work
Mike

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Brian, your buckle looks great. Conserning the soldering problem! The first thing I would ask is what type of gas are you soldering with. If acetylene, you might try natural gas. I discovered a great torch a few years ago that I bought from Otto Frei Jewlery supply (800-772-3456) Hi-heat torch part # 114.156. I was amazed at the improvement over acetylene. I hope that helps.

Ed DeLorge

Brian
Hello, I think you have done a great job here. The overall craftsmanship is great. I dont see a thing wrong, keep up the good work.
Mike Pardue

Patternweldor

Hi Brian.. I think your belt and buckle looks just great, very nice clean work, super pleasing to the eye.
Thanks for taking the time to show it.

best regards.
Chris.

Latest posts

Sponsors