Question: Bulino Dot

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I am doing my first try at Bulino Dots and am having problems. When I try to make a dot by pushing the Bulino graver into the steel and then pop it out I seem to get more of a diamond or skid and the diamond shape instead of a good direct dot. What angle do you hold the graver at? Am I suppose to pop the piece out of just push down to make the dot?

Thanks
Mike

ChrisB

Elite Cafe Member
Mike, You Supposed to have a Tiny Diamond, Depending on the Angle that You Push them in on Your Work, will show different dephts off Black. Looking at different Light Angles.
If You Are Working in a Horizontal Plane it will show up Black, The More You Move up to Vertical Plane, The Lighter it will show up.
All Depends where Your Light Source is.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
The bulino dot is a diamond shape, although in photos they look more rounded due to lense blur. Depending on the angle you enter the steel and scoop out will determine the length of the diamond. There are two trains of thought, one is to leave the bur (displaced metal) at the end of the cut, you cut into the metal but leave the bur stand at the end of it. The other way, which I prefer and my customers do as well, is to remove the metal out of the cut, which leaves a smooth surface when the scene is done. When you enter the metal scoop the graver just a touch when you push forward into the metal. This action will remove the metal, and is easier on the graver point, than cutting in and popping the chip by lifting up on the graver. Once you start getting the hang of it try some different graver geometries, depending on how you are comfortable holding the graver and the shape of the cut you wish to achieve, will determine what geometry is best for you and the job, I prefer the the long heel style gravers, 5-10 degree lift, 80-100 V, with a 45-50 face. Play around and you will figure out what you like. Best regards. Brian

It took me a week of solid practice to learn to pop out the burr. I sat on a stool and seriously worked at it for a good forty hours before I could consistently pop out the burr. When I finally managed to do it everyone seemed surpise - apparently most of the other apprentices took longer.
I realize many people don't consider it important to pop the burr out. Personally I believe it is important because the result is more consistant. What you see after removing the burr is much closer to what you get after polishing. If you do not pop out the burr, when you polish the area, the burr is shoved back into your work and reduces the well.
Remember that very fine tone is much more difficult to remove the burr. Because the burr is so tiny and the momentum coming up is so small. Sometimes you can come back from the opposite direction of your original cut to remove that tiny burr. I think everyone has trouble with them at times.
If you are just starting I would recommend a graver designed to do large wells because I believe they are the easiest to learn. We usually used onglettes, especially for tooling wells. I am sure you will get used to whatever you choose to use but the shape of the well will reflect the shape of your graver. We could talk about well shapes for hours. I will spare you that- it can be very boring and most people don't care. If you really want to know more let me know. Printers have a different perspective because the engraving is indirectly a product of the print.
I think it is all in the wrist movement. I'll see if my video camera is working and try to get you a video to see the movement. I'm not sure I can run the camera and cut.
If you are doing bulino, you might want to check out a dvd by Christian DeCamillas called "Basic Technique for Bulino Engraving". Personally I think his system of using small cuts beats traditional wells. The dvd is incredible and worth every penny.

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you everyone. I have the bought the DVD that Christian DeCamillas put out and love every bit of it. It did not show much on the dot method so that it why I am asking. I am trying to mix both methods to see what I get. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Mike