Bulino techniques

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I know that there have been a few threads in the past on Bulino, but I've got some very simple, probably very obvious questions. Do you ever use a power graver or is it all done simply by pushing? If your doing the "dot" type vs. the line type bulino, can you use the power to do large areas with a "stippling" action? Or must you do each dot with a "flick" to remove metal, as opposed to stipple, which just depresses the metal. (Do you ever feel bad about being the cause of all this "metal depression?" ... Sorry, couldn't resist!) How about the handle itself, is it a palm style most often, or do you ever use a "pencil" type handle as is used in scrimshaw? Was there ever a concensus on which graver tip geometry was the most useful? I can't wait till the seminars at Reno!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Mark

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In answer to your questions Mark.
Yes.
I don't
Yes
Both
Don't know

How's that? Happy Thanksgiving
Marty

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
In all seriousness, there is a lot more to effective banknot/bulino than cutting a line or dot. This is where I am still trying to figure out the best way to present theory, decision making and proceedures as part of the technical and creative process. I'll of course show you what tools work for me and how I use them. But I need to show you how to think along the way. Hell.I'm still trying to figure out how to think along the way.

Sam Marsh

I know that there have been a few threads in the past on Bulino, but I've got some very simple, probably very obvious questions. Do you ever use a power graver or is it all done simply by pushing? If your doing the "dot" type vs. the line type bulino, can you use the power to do large areas with a "stippling" action? Or must you do each dot with a "flick" to remove metal, as opposed to stipple, which just depresses the metal. (Do you ever feel bad about being the cause of all this "metal depression?" ... Sorry, couldn't resist!) How about the handle itself, is it a palm style most often, or do you ever use a "pencil" type handle as is used in scrimshaw? Was there ever a concensus on which graver tip geometry was the most useful? I can't wait till the seminars at Reno!

Happy Thanksgiving,

Mark
I have been doing head and shoulder personal portraits, ducks, and pheasants in "bulino". Best way I can answer you is with a specific example. Persons Head & Shoulder Portrait - Use a 90 graver to bright cut outlines for the hat and shirt's collar and shoulders. Use a #18 Titanium plated sewing machine needle mounted in a thin wood dowel to make dots to fully outine the face and detail all parts of the subjects mouth, eyebrows, nose, lips, ears, and a most importantly outline a glimmer in the eyes. I also use this needle to mark, with dots, all shadows and show contrast on the subject's face, neck, hat, and shirt. The small dots made by these Titanium coated needles allow you to make a quality image. I buy these needles in packs of 100 and just replace them when they get dull. I use high magnification when making any of the dots.

Sam Marsh

Best way I can answer you is with an example. To depict a person's head and shoulder portrait on a receiver I use a graver to make bright cuts to outline the hat, and the shirt's collar and shoulders. I use a #18 titanium sewing machine needle mounted in a thin wood dowel for making dots to depict everything else in the portrait, ears, nose, mouth, glimmers in the eyes etc. All dots are made under high magnification. Small dots made by these needles allow a quality image. Buy these needles in packs of 100 and simply replace them when they start to get dull.

Sam Marsh

Probably not Walmart, but they are definately available at specialty sewing stores, for example Hancock Fabrics where I first bought Stylus Titanium Machine Needles, Size 18 by Sullivans in packs of 5 needles for about $5.00 retail. I am now buying my needles wholesale from Allbrands.com where I buy "Organ DBKxK5 PD Titanium Embroidery Machine Needles SHARPS 100/box, Size 18/110 for $29.99/pack of 100 needles. I found that I did best using the stiffer larger size 18 needle.

Sam Marsh

I sent you detailed response several days prior, but do not see copy here, so will try again. Long lasting Titanium coated needles probably only available retail at specialty sewing stores like Hancock Fabric for about almost $1 each. Now I buy wholesale, Package of 100 needles for $29.99 and free shipping, from ALLBRANDS.COM/Item #orgdbk5, Organ DBxK5 PD Titanium Coated Embroidery Machine Needles SHARPS 100/box, Size 18/110. Hope this gets through this time.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Sam
I found Allbrands online store and the needles you mentioned..I plan to order a pack of 100 next week, thank you for the infomation..

Latest posts

Sponsors