Help, please: Carbon paper

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I need help finding some carbon paper/transfer paper. I use this for my NASCAR trophy I engrave and what I have found was the BEST is the old fashioned credit card sales slips that they used with an imprinter. They had two types.. One has a separate carbon sheet and the other has the carbon on the back of the sheet.
The separate carbon is what I am looking for. Around my area the supply is long gone so I am looking for a suitable substitute. All the office supply houses here no longer carry any type of carbon paper. I am not close enough to a "Hobby Lobby" or such to know if they carry anything like this either.
Does anyone know of a similar transfer paper?
Thanks,
Rex

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rex,

I remember those credit card slips. Back in the dark ages, when I used to do art shows, I used that type. I am a true "pack rat" and may still have some of those old slips lying around. I'll look tonight when I get home from the office.

Mark

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Hi Rex,

Have you tried the Saral Transfer Paper? It does not come in a real BLACK, but the "Graphite" color is pretty close. Been using it for the past 15 years or so for similar purposes...

Also comes in red, yellow, blue, and white. I keep the graphite and white around for odd jobs.

I believe Blick's has it... so does Amazon.

Brian Marshall
SJAS
Stockton, CA USA 95209
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com

Bill Brockway

Rex -

I haven't bought any in a long time, but these used to be available at blueprint shops - the places that cater to architects and engineers. You can find them in almost any medium-sized city. They are also available in sheets larger than 8 1/2" x 11."

Bill

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rex, I bought some recently. The maker is "Porelon". Web Site: www.porelon.com.
It's the stuff I remember from typewriter days.
My wife got it so it must be Office Depot or Staples.
Kevin

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
On some jobs I like to rub a layer of red rouge onto the back of the piece of paper with the layout artwork on it. I then put down a layer of white gouache on the object to be engraved and tape the artwork with the red rouged back over that. (I first position the art work with office sticky putty then tape it secure) By redrawing over the art work with a pen or pencil the red rouge acts as a carbon paper of sorts and leaves the image on the white watercolor base.
This works especially well for copying people's signature facsimile onto an object and one doesn't encounter the extra slippage of using carbon paper which can cause shifting around of the top artwork as it it retraced.

dave gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Rex; I make my own out of tracing paper. Just take a soft leaded pencil or two and cover the area ,it doesn't have to be "thick" but give it a good coat. Then smear it around with a rag, Sometimes I'll use some Mineral spirits but a dry rub down works too. Cheap, available, and immediate, takes about two minutes... Dave

Glenn

Elite Cafe Member
Hey Rex,
How many of those credit card carbons would you like? I have a few.

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
After some searching some office supply stores I was able to find what I needed finally.
It was a carbon paper that is really close to the credit card stuff. It's Nu-kote brand. It might not be exactly the same but really close.
Thanks for all the options and help!
Rex

Latest posts

Sponsors