Celtic Hand Engraving

Kelly Parkes

I am wanting to duplicate a celtic hand engraving pattern that is on one ring to another ring. What is the best method to do this to get exactly the same pattern for this second ring I am to hand engrave? See celtic pattern that I am referring to below.

Attachments

• Image012-cropped 2 & rotated 7 degreees right.jpg
    Image012-cropped 2 & rotated 7 degreees right.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 269

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Use a non-drying ink like fingerprint ink or Dykem Hi-Spot blue (Prussian Blue) to transfer the pattern exactly.

Smear the blue to an even layer on a flat surface, then pick up the layer of blue with your finger and then dap it onto the surface already engraved. then lay a piece of scotch tape across the inked surface and peel it back. then use that to lay across the new surface to be engraved, peel it back and Wa-Lah! you have a perfect exact copy inked image of what you want

Kelly Parkes

Thanks Scott fo your info. I am in Vancouver, BC Canada and am having difficulty finding these products. Do you know where I can buy them?

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
machinist supply would have Dykem Hi- Spot Blue
an art store would have Prussian Blue, as far as I know they are the same stuff.
Police Supply for sure, some Office supplies like Staples carry fingerprint ink

Actually Peter made me think of something, Chris DeCamillus makes up something similar acting with chapstick and graphite, just melt the chapstick with some heat and add the graphite until the mix is dark enough, and that worked OK . the grpahite does'nt seem to make as fine an impression as you get the true inks.

Was'nt Sam making some kind of special transfer something for sale as well? I'm not sure how it works though. hmmmm, my memory at times.

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Kelly
Your local art supply store should have Speedball Oil Base Block printers ink #3550. This tip is from John B. also I put Damar varnish on the object to have the transfer just let the varnish get tacky some people cut the varnish 50/50 with alcohol. Same procedure the Scott mentioned
Duh this ink also works great for darking engraving easy to rub with finger or hand to get the effect you want then let dry around 3 hrs works great thanks again John B

Last edited:
Aloha Kelly,
Great discussion on tranfer techniques. This is a thread worth printing as a pdf. But, I am unsure of your question, Kelly...

Are you asking, as well, about how to engrave that sort of design? I wasn't clear if yoiu had engraved the first ring or if you are duplicating a ring someone already had. The ring you are duplicating looks like it was cast, but the picture is a little fuzzy so it may just be the image.

Aloha,
reb

Kelly Parkes

Hi koabenchgoldsmith. The 2 rings I received are blanks. The celtic engraving pattern is from a photo in a magazine that my client wants engraved on both rings. That photo of the finished cast ring with celtic engraving is very poor quality. My question is how do I transfer that celtic pattern from the magazine on to the rings I am to engrave. I scanned that part of the magazine into my computer, but it turned out not good, plus of course the pattern is not straight but curved.

mbroder

Elite Cafe Member
If the photo from the magazine is of poor quality, or the scan is of poor quality, than it looks like your just going to have to hand draw it on the ring. You can also draw it on paper to scale, then scan it and transfer it to both rings. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Kelly Parkes

-koabenchgoldsmith- I received 2 blank rings from a client attached with a celtic cast ring photo from a magazine. My client wanted me to engrave that celtic pattern from the magazine on to the 2 blank rings. I scanned the finished cast ring photo in the computer but it didn't turn out, as the photo is not good quality with a very busy background, plus the other down side is the pattern is not flat but already curved. What would you have done in this regard? Thanks for any advice.

Latest posts

Sponsors