China White

longranger

I am beginning to engrave a black powder box lock action. I have made scale drawings on paper and now pleased with my design.
I would like to use China white and redraw the pattern on to the action.
I am afraid to do the copy paper/acetone transfer with the pattern being so busy.
My question is where do I find China White?

Thanks for your time

dclevinger

Elite Cafe Member
longranger,

GRS sells the little half-pans of Chinese white which are perfect. You can also find it at art supply stores in the watercolor section.

David

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would suggest to use a cheap spray paint instead.just coat your parts lightly and let them dry.youcan draon that surface and erase without removing the paint.once you have your artwork the way you want it, just cut directly through the paint.use acetone to remove the leftover paint when you are done.This will work on any metal surface and won't rust as when you use china white,also it is readily available at the local hardware store.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
longranger,

GRS sells the little half-pans of Chinese white which are perfect. You can also find it at art supply stores in the watercolor section.

David

What David said; only the "half pans" at the art store like Dick Blick or other large stores; not craft stores, will be half the price of GRS. They tend to mark up a little too much sometimes especially on things like this that can be obtained so readily elsewhere, not sure why. At any rate, I find it works better if I lick my pinkie and use that to rub it on the metal rather than dipping into water. It tends to separate more using water.

You have to play with it and get a feel for it so don't get frustrated. Also you only need to kill the shine with a dull grey colored film, it needn't be a solid white coverage which you won't get anyway. Your tongue will be worn out and your repository of four letter words will be exhausted should you try for a solid white covering.

Good luck and be sure to post a picture of it when you're done.

Markofx

White layout paint

Try white lay out spray paint. this tip was given to me by Johnny Wyerts when he taught at GRS. Look for it at hardware stores. It's flat with no sheen, and doesn't chip when you cut thru it.
Mark

longranger

Thank you all for the wonderful response to my ignorant question.
This box lock will be my first attempt at a firearm, hours on practice plates. I have decided to represent what I cut and draw the best,rosettes,vine scrolls,double wheat back borders simple.
I am in awe of anybody who picks up a graver and tries to scratch out what's in his/her heart on a piece of steel.
I am very exicited about what I can do and afraid of what I can't.I have had good instruction from Lee Griffiths(GRS) and Ron Smith(GRS)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
the only ignorant question is the one you're reluctant to ask ! china white is also available in little squeze tubes of artist water color. grumbacher or windsor &newton.

Sponsors