cirellis solution

mark 36

Ive bought some lighter fluid for the solution and its made by Ronsonol{lighter fluid}. It says it only contains Naptha and not the hydrocarbon fluid that Mike stated. Does the formula have to be zippo lighter fluid or wil what I have work??

Ranchman

Elite Cafe Member
Mark 36
I had a hard time trying to find Zippo lighter fluid. I went every where. I finally went to a store that only sells tobacco products and they had it. It's under $3.00 for a small can. And it works. It really works. As a last resort you can give the other fluid a try and please post your results. But I would keep looking it's out there.

Good luck
Jeff

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
I use Damar Varnish cut about 75% with acetone. No flaking off. Been using it for a couple of years.

Roger

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
naphtha is a hydrocarbon fluid. the term simply means the concoction contains, among other possible elements, hydrogen and carbon atoms.

Ozgraver

Basically any solvent will work, but the more volatile they are, the quicker they'll dry. Some of the slower drying solvents leave a slightly oily residue (because they're closer to their oil/petrol origins) which may be the cause of some transferring failures.

Depending on your global location, hydrocarbon solvents such as naptha (USA - banned in Australia), shellite (Australia - used in lighter fuels and paint products) and household spot dry-cleaning fluids will offer the best results (quickest flash-off and zero residue).

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Ozgraver; Naptha is basically unavailable here in the states, The only places that it is available, is from chemical supply houses, or from mine safety suppliers (used in Flame Safety Lamps). And you have to show a need to have and use it. It is used in the Flame safety lamps or Davies Lamp, because it is the only fuel that will burn at the correct air fuel mix to show the oxygen content of an area.

Ozgraver

Ozgraver; Naptha is basically unavailable here in the states, The only places that it is available, is from chemical supply houses, or from mine safety suppliers (used in Flame Safety Lamps). And you have to show a need to have and use it. It is used in the Flame safety lamps or Davies Lamp, because it is the only fuel that will burn at the correct air fuel mix to show the oxygen content of an area.
Interesting, I never knew naptha was the only fuel for Davies lamps. I presume the naptha ban is the reason behind the new formula for lighter fuel. Naptha is nasty stuff.

Do you have shellite in the US? It's only one rung up the solvent ladder from white spirit/turpentine substitute.