Help, please: Compressor Question

Copia117

Couldn't find an answer for this.

I have a ValAir 4gallon compressor running a Gravermach AT. Have had both a couple years but only recently thought about how quickly the compressor needs to refill. I'm getting about 2.45minutes between the compressor kicking on while doing fine shading, so it's not like I'm hammering away or doing background work.

So my question is if that amount of time between charges sounds right? I know the AT is always letting out a small amount of air on idle too, but over 2 bar for less than 3minutes?

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
cant say for sure, but that doesn't sound right to me. i have a 1 gallon ( or so) junn air. it will charge in a bit more than a minute. it runs the lindsay for a good while before it kicks back in . not sure if the gravermach should bleed air. if so, it's probably bleeding more air than you think.

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
I go along with Fred having the answer. I have a small silent air and had the same thing happen. If the tank if full of water there isn't much room for the air and will empty quickly causing it to cycle pretty quickly. Draining the tank may make a small wet mess but once it's done it should cycle normally after that. And if it doesn't help then you'll know its something a little more serious.

Allan

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Allan, no need for a mess when draining the tank.
Just buy and install a tap fitting with a hose barb.
Attach a plastic hose to the barb, using a small clamp.
Drill a tight fitting hole in the cap of a quart size plastic milk bottle and fit the hose into it.
Also drill a 1/16 hole in the bottle cap to release the air pressure,
Hold on to the milk bottle when releasing the pressure and draining the tank.
No mess, no fuss, just empty the milk bottle when it is half full

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
Thanks John, that's a great idea. The only thing I don't like about the silent air compressor is that to drain the tank you have to unscrew the release valve. Your way is better. Much better. I'm on my way to home depot tonight.

Allan

Copia117

Thanks for the insights, everyone.

I usually drain the tank twice a week so didn't think it was a water problem, but after staring down the machine from across the room, realized it was sitting a lot less level than I thought (whole basement is pretty sloped, the corner it's tucked worse). Essentially tilted back from the valve. Drained from full pressure tilted toward the valve there was a very solid sputter. After two more runs of that it added 45 seconds to the average runtime.

I'll try the soapy water trick to look for air leaks on fittings next, but so far this is already a big step up.

Thanks again.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Allan. Thank you for your reply.
Didn't have any luck finding the small tap/barb fitting at my Home Depot.
Think I got mine at a well stocked Ace Hardware.
If not you can rig one out of a female T. fitting, some short threaded nipples and a thread to barb fitting.

Latest posts

Sponsors