construction of belt buckles

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've gotten to the point where I'd like to work on making my own belt buckle- any step by steps out there for bending the blank (and what thickness is recommended...) for setting up to engrave? Many thanks- the inspiration, comradery and good humor on this site are refreshing!
:)

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Here's what I do, don't know if its right or wrong but it works for me. I cut the blank out of whatever stock I choose ie., steel , brass, or silver. I finish it to the degree I want (polish). I figure out the design and draw it on usually with a 8h sharp pencil with mutton tallow & beeswax dabbed on the blank, sometimes I use layout dye & use a scriber. Next I attach it to a slab of hardwood usually with copper nails.
After its cut & complete I remove the nails & bend to shape, this is done with block of wild cherry wood cut in half & dished out with a gouge on one half and filed/sanded convex on the other half , the buckle is placed in between put in the jaws of a machinists vise & tightened down. It will take the set, if I like it ok, if not I will tweak it with a rawhide mallet. If its steel I blue it otherwise final polish then solder on the the back hook & loop. hope this may help you. I'm attaching a couple pic of one I did a while ago.
Kent

Attachments

• DSCN0088.jpg
    DSCN0088.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN0109.jpg
    DSCN0109.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 175

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i form my buckles exactly like ksnyder, but use a steel die set i burned out using an automatic cutting torch. i place a pad of soft , thin leather on the female die, place the buckle face down. put another strip of leather on top of the blank and turn the clamp screw. i usually leave the blank in for 10 minutes or so. works well for .062 - .125" thick stock. i'll send you a pic of my rig if you like. it could easily be made of hardwood or a hefty hunk of nylon. jayismonk450@gmail.com