Courses and training (in Europe)

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Can you suggest people or schools in Europe who offer engraving courses? I know a lot of them in US - GRS, Sam, Barry Lee Hands, Ray Cover etc. But only one in Europe - Roland Baptiste. I'd love to go to US, of course, but it's quite more expensive.

There are a lot of engravers in Europe, I mean it actually originates from here, but I can't find who would teach it. Quite a few people from EU go to teach to US - Grifnee, Lovenberg, Hunts (Grand Masters course), but do they teach at home too? Italians probably teach too, but can't find any info about them.

One week to one month would be perfect. Topics I'd like to learn are design, bulino, inlay/overlay, sculpting, these advanced techniques.

If anybody knows something then I'd be very grateful.

P.S. Maybe it would be a good idea to compile a list of people/schools who do engraving courses and put it up somewhere in the forum?

Viljo

Eddi

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Vilts

I took a jewlery engraving class in Antwerp Belgium last year. It was great! I´m going again this year for a stone setting class. It was in the Alexandre school. Someone already posted the link.

Eddi

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee Griffiths is teaching a one week class for jewelers in June in Muenster Germany in June I think, I am teaching some focused on gun engraving in October at Muenster as well. I will do a 3 day weekend seminar and five day class.

Martin Strolz also teaches in Steyr, Austria, maybe closer to you but I am not sure how short term it is. There is also the engravers school in Suhl Germany and Brescia Italy, but those are not really set up for short term studies either to my knowledge.

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks you guys very much for the info. Now I must start the research to find which of these options suits be the best.

It's just too bad that I can't do those longer courses in some school.

Doesn't anyone take engraver journeymen (or how do you call the young guy who learns by the master and doing the dirty work?)? Wiping the floor, cleaning windows, cutting semi-straight lines. These things I can do :)

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That would be an Apprentice.

A Journeyman is what an Apprentice will become if he sticks with it and gets good enough to do actual paying work.

If and when a Journeyman becomes proficient enough he can become a Master at which time he can take on Apprentices of his own (and is finally free of his obligations to his Master).