dealers license

Georgette

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Do engravers need to have a dealers license in order to legally engrave firearms? Someone showed me a copy of ATF rul.2009-1 which states that anyone who is in the business of engraving firearms must be a licensed dealer. Does anyone have answers for this, i certainly dont want to get in trouble with ATF

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes you need a FFL, Federal firearms license. And if you work from your home and not a commercial space , city or county zoning regulations also come in to play. Good Luck

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
In New York I needed to get an FFL, and for pistols I also needed State dealers license, and gunsmith license. The FFL was the most expensive, the other two cost me fingerprinting and $20. Everyone needs their cut.

Georgette

Wow, i did not know this nor have i seen anything about it, being that i learn from training videos, i wish something would have been mentioned on the video, thank you all for all the great information

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Georgette,

As long as you don't have any local zoning laws that prevent it it is not hard to your ffl. I live in town and only needed a local business license to comply with local ordinances so it want' a big deal for me.

If your local ordinances or state laws are more restrictive you may have to jump through more hoops.

Ray

Georgette

I have contacted ATF and they are sending me all the applications, I am so glad that a co worker pointed that out to me and that I was able to get more information for all you guys, thank you so much. For those who make learning dvd's maybe it might be a good thing to put in there for information. On my way to becoming an engraver, just so much to learn.....thanks I knew I could get some answers from you guys

RoycroftRon

Elite Cafe Member
It should be added that you could engrave you own personal gun, as long as you abide by the laws (you can't alter the makers markings etc). You only need the licenses if you are doing it for on other people's guns.

monk

Staff member
if you're lucky enough to be in good- i mean real good standing with a gunsmith friend, you could set up an engraving studio in a back room. the gsmith then ships, receives, and harbors the restricted parts of the gun. all you have to do then is the engraving. i was made such an offer some time ago. just wasn't practical for me to make the move.

JJ Roberts

Georgette,The only problem you may have is with zoning laws,witch Ray pointed out.You should'nt have a problem if you explain to the folks at city hall you only going to engrave gun parts.This is what I advised a young engraver working on his FFL,I told him just show them a few gun parts you've engraved and it workout just find, he now has his FFL.Happy Ending,hope this works for you. J.J.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors