Diana the Huntress Knife

nhcowboy1961

Elite Cafe Member
My goodness Brian, that knife is absolutely spectacular, and an example of what hard work, talent,effort, and inspiration are capable of-mind you in capable hands such as yours. As a somewhat new engraver (5 years or so and taking a course with Dianne Scalese this month :) it's a real shot in the arm to see where the many hours of work and years of practice and improvong skills can take oneself-thanks so much for sharing.
Paul

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Greg, good to see you post again, you have been missing in action here lately. I still need to find my way back down to Ca. and pay you a visit.

Paul- Tell Diane hi for me, you will really enjoy her class, I took one from her a few years ago. She is a really nice lady and great instructor, maybe she will bring her Ian Tyson tapes.:)

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Brian..I have seen many versions of Diane Goddess of the Hunt, but yours is "Awesome". As anybody who has gone to art school can tell you human anatomy is not easy, especially hands and feet, so your anatomy is right on the money. Hope to see you at the blade show. Keep up the good work.

Yours truly,

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, Outstanding job! You've made the lady, deer, & the dog, they look so realistic! I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing. Dwayne

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian,

Nicely done, bravo!! I enjoy seeing your work & am definitely looking forward to what I get to see next!

Weldon

As for seeing the hidden deer: I definitely see huge "bucks" when I look at it!!

Last edited:

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Brian,
Thank you for sharing your experience....
You are doing "Kick Butt" work....
I expect to see you knives for sale at www.knifeart.com , www.elitecustomknives.com, www.arizonacustomknives.com and in knife publications in the future...

However, if a talented young artist like you has a tough time breaking into the world of highend engraving collectors, then there is ONLY the dream and love of engraving left for 50+ year old beginners such as myself.
If I knew then what I know now, I would not have spent $20k+ on tools, classes and countless hours practicing. Only to get hooked on engraving. Of course, it is NOT beneficial to sales people or instructors to tell students up front that they do NOT have the talent or time left in life to make it as an engraver....

Brian, you have the talent and time to make it as a Professional engraver. I have accepted becoming the best hobbyist engraver which I can be. Yet, we both have the love of engraving...

Thanks for sharing,
Stephen

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
However, if a talented young artist like you has a tough time breaking into the world of highend engraving collectors, then there is ONLY the dream and love of engraving left for 50+ year old beginners such as myself.
If I knew then what I know now, I would not have spent $20k+ on tools, classes and countless hours practicing. Only to get hooked on engraving. Of course, it is NOT beneficial to sales people or instructors to tell students up front that they do NOT have the talent or time left in life to make it as an engraver....

Stephen,

I don't really agree with what you are saying, to start at 50+ is not a bad thing and it is never to late, do the math say it takes you ten years to be one of the top guys, you do that by doing good work and getting your name out there, you have at least 15 good years left in you. Another advantage, is that by that age most people have some financial security, so the pressure of making money is less, you can take more time with each job, be more selective, ect. I have a good friend who is a knife maker who is a great example, he did not start engraving until he was 65, at 60 he had thought about it but thought he was to old, but wishes now he had taken the plunge then. He is now 75 a well respected engraver and is one of the most sought after makers in the biz, and still going strong. So, my advice would be to set your goal, and get to work, study, cut, draw, and get your work seen. Let time do it thing.

JJ, Thanks for the compliments, I will be at Blade, see you there. -Brian

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, Your Wisdom is much older than your years...
Keep going you will...
Jerry
Joan and I meet you in Reno and admired your colt...
Gosh, if I had the chance to be an artist at the time I was in my teen to 30th something...WOW!!!
I had to work at what I could make the most for my family and pay the bills to be where we am today...
Kids Grown, just me and Joan and the grandkids are becoming teenagers, and I just want to engrave for me and a few family and friends for fun...
At 64 I have so much to do and places to travel thats we have not been...
"
The older you get the less free time you have..." (jlseymour)
God Luck...
Jerry

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
A well thought out design,the eye of an artist to see the final work,and the dedication of a bulldog to seek unobtainable perfection.You done good,very good.

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Mark, I am looking forward to doing your knife, its a cool theme. I am in pen engraving mode right now but your knife will be coming up pretty soon. Glad you found the forum, welcome aboard.

Joseph, glad you approve. BTW your book was a good read, hope all is well down in Old Mexico.

Rob Blanton

Hi Brian,
Sorry for the delay in commenting on the Diana piece. I was waiting to get pictures from Jim Cooper. The piece turned out fantastic and as good as Jim's photography is I can't wait to see the knife in person. I love well executed designs based on mythology and it looks like you really knocked this one out of the ballpark. Great job!!
Best regards,
Rob