Question: Does anyone heel their bulino gravers?

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
I read in kcrutche's bulino post that he puts a slight heel on his bulino gravers. I was wondering if anyone else did this, and if so, what are the face and heel angles you prefer?

I have just done my first bulino piece and was surprised how well it looked for a first try. I think a heel would have helped me.

I used all lines, no dots.

Thanks,

pappy

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Bolino Heel

Pappy

I tried many graver angles decided I liked Phil Coggan's Lindsay Template, however I had problems with the graver Diving or If it was not Diving it was dragging a line behind.

After much trial and error I turned the graver gave it a new face and tried it that way, I still could not get low enough to keep from diving.

I decided to try a heel and have been very happy with the results.

Now this is important the heel must be very small, to get into such small places without dragging.

If you have the Phil Coggan Template you can make a heel by setting the graver about 1/8 to 3/16th inch shorter than normal(anyway thats how I do it).

I have a call in to Steve Lindsay now to see if he can make a Template to make a heel.

I would just about bet when you make on your first heel it will be to big if it is you will have to grind off the face until it is right.

Even with the small heel I only use it for straight line shading cuts.

For practice I made a transfer of 1 mm squares, cut the outline then practice cutting 22 lines touching each other without getting out of your box.

If you can do that you will be making shades of gray instead of lines.

Try it it is not as hard as you think.

Ken

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Pappy

I tried many graver angles decided I liked Phil Coggan's Lindsay Template, however I had problems with the graver Diving or If it was not Diving it was dragging a line behind.
Ken
Ken,
you can't be sharpening it properly, it does'nt dive or drag! Make sure you grind the bottom facet this allows you to lower the tool so it won't dive.
I use this tool for ultra fine bulino and large scroll, ALL of the pictures that i've posted were done with this tool which includes the very deep scrollwork. The only alteration for the deep work is a larger tip and a slightly steeper angle!

The template allows you to get the shape quickly but because of the fine point there is no need to re-jig it everytime it needs sharpening or "wetting up" it only needs a quick wipe on a stone etc.

There's no need for a heel, in fact unless you re-jig every time to sharpen the heel, sharpening the heel by hand is not acurate enough. Re-jigging is too time consuming!

Phil

Last edited:

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
No Heel

Phil

My problem is I am missing my first joint of my index finger, the way I have to hold the graver I could not get the graver low enough.

When I put the heel on I am still using the same geometry, the cutting surface is just shorter, so I can get into the very small places.

Your skill level is so far superior to mine I am sure that has more to do with it.

I have just finished my practice Bulino Duck, I will post as soon as I can get a nice picture.

I would appreciate your comments when I post.

I very likely am not sharpening correctly, Do you run the flat up close leaving a short cutting surface.

Wouldn't that act like a heel?

I hate to ask but could you give us a step by step on using your Template (at least the flat part).

Using the flat is what I do not quite understand.

I will work at no heel some more.

Thanks for your Time and interest.

I will work at no heel some more.

Ken

Last edited:

Phil Coggan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ken,
I understand your predicament, but I have just tried cutting by holding the tool with just my thumb and second finger and with my index finger pointing in the air and it's not a problem...ok, it's a bit strange, but i've cut a series of fine cuts as I would for a game scene for example.
Because of the high rake of the angles the tool should be quite high anyway.

Phil

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I don't have any trouble at all using Phil's graver geometry on light cuts. I never tried it on heavy cuts. Maybe the term heavy cuts needs some definition.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Heel doesn't seem to me an appropriate term for a graver used for 'bulino'; maybe 'keel' as in ship's 'keel'. Phil's term 'rake' makes more sense to me if we're looking at the bottom of the graver. The 'rake' makes a heel unnecessary; the 'rake' provides the 'lift' that a heel would give.
I hope I haven't muddied the waters here.
Kevin P.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I kind of like keel instead of heel and rake instead of lift; it's shorter. But just for 'bulino'. Maybe we should ask Mr. Biele .
Kevin P.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On a serious note. In Alains Grand Masters class Mike Dubber and I tried doing some cuts with Alains onglette graver with NO HEEL....surprisingly it cut as smooth as a knife through soft butter with no control problem. Otherwise we used heels ranging from about 8 degrees to 15 using 70, 90 and 105 gravers.
In short use what works best for you and your style

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Marty I suggested those terms since it seemed to me that 'kcrutche' and 'pappy' and maybe 'jerry' were having difficulty communicating what part of the graver they were referring to.
I don't know Phil's template but I did do a 'bulino' graver a la Chris. It seems to me that a heel is not necessary and for very fine lines might be a hinderance. Phil's comment about holding the graver with thumb and middle finger seems just right to me to maintain the 'light' touch.
But I'm in the very early stages of engraving.
Kevin P.