Help, please: encourage me..

clw1974

Its been awhile since I have been at my bench. Bad marriage, hard times an rough divorce . Im a single Dad raisin a beautiful lil six year old. I lost intrest in almost everything at one point but im seein some light now an i cant stop thinkin about engravin an the time I spent in Val Troumpia Italy in Botegga di Giovennelli studio with all those incredible engravers. I was taught by Master Tempini. I use hammer an chisel, also bulino. I stand up when i engrave except for bulino work. Im scared i dont have a steady hand or the pacients anymore. But i find myself thinkin about engraving almost as if im working on a piece. Please give any advise or kick in the ass to keep my passion alive. Thanks, clw1974,.......I live in Augusta Ga.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
clw,You were very lucky to study with Master Tempini, now don't let him down get to work.Come join us at the Hurst engraving-in May 6,7 & 8 2011 in Robersonville N.C. J.J.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
CLW, Been there done that-broken hearts take time. Enjoy your kid first!!!-draw and sketch. like a beginner, draw in your spare min on scraps of paper just like the beginning. with time, I hope that the urge will return. I just had four vertebra in my neck screwed together and don't know whether I will be able to bend my neck to look in scope. I know I cant flex to hammer anymore but drawing does hurt to much so that is what I am doing. I am down in Albany- Fred

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
CLW, what a fine gift a father could produce for their child ........ the ability to record the image of your little one as they grow. Start with the passion of love and let it grow. When you see the smile that would comes to the face of the one you love when seeing the effort that their father has made of them ....... for them, maybe your passion will grow with this little act of love.
I wish you well on your journey and I'm sure that others would agree, let us follow your growth by posting your work not for critique but to smile along with you as you take those steps to get back on the path. Follow your passion as long as it's for good you'll not regret the effort. You've come to the best place for support of fellow artisans.
Now get to work.
Mark

clw1974

Thank you so much for the reply, could you send me some info about the school. 2925 deans bridge rd , augusta, Ga 30906. Chris Widener

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Man, you are on your way!!!For me it was a short stint with out a home,Two divorces, Bankruptcy and a few other bad pit falls. I did not quit just to please my ex father in-lay or any body else that said "why don't you go get a real job". I worked at contract engraving on and off for 18 yrs. or so with out any recognition or much help.
Today you have all the advantages of learning from some of the greatest talent there ever has existed.If you want to engrave and have had some good guidance,your very fortunate.I hope you will take the blessings you have been given and create a world that your little 6 yr. old will be proud to say that "My Dad did that.I hope he will teach me how too."

All my best wishes to you,and keep your dreams in focus.
Dave

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Go back! Goooo BAAAAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!! Save yourself! The rest of us here are too far gone, but there's still hope for you! Run fast, run far! All is not yet lost! Don't you have enough problems already without trying to be an engraver???
:shock:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Silverchip has had 2 divorces and a bankruptcy! Do what Mitch said. Go and do something else and use engraving as a wonderful hobby that brings maximum pleasure.

joseph engraver

Elite Cafe Member
I once went hiking on Mounte Guglielmo,I took a fall and fractured two ribs.
I went to see my teacher, Giulio Timpinni and said that it hurt to engrave.
He asked me if it hurt bad enough that I could not engrave?
I answered "No"
Quit crying,dust yer self off and read my book it will help you! I Hope this kick in the a helps you.

Last edited:

clw1974

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, MR. TIMPINI TAUGHT YOU TOO. WOW HOW BOUT THAT. WERE YOU AT BOTTEGA DI GIOVENNELLI? I WISH TO GO BACK ONE DAY. DO YOU KNOW ANYONE THAT NEEDS ANOTHER ENGRAVER IN SHOP WITH THEM OR IS THAT A RARE THING? I NEED TO GET THE HELL AWAY AN FIND THE RIGHT LIFE FOR MY DAUGHTER AN I. a CHANGE IS WELCOME. I WOULD LOVE TO READ YOUR BOOK TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND IT PLEASE. I HAVE MANY QUESTIONS BUT I WANT TO MAKE SURE ITS OK TO BOTHER YOU WITH THEM OR NOT.

clw1974

Thanks so much, are there people lookin to have an apprentice or such. Im pretty good already but i would love to move away somewhere an start over. I will try an get some pics up soon as i figure out how. I know most people say dont engrave for a livin an im sure they are right, but i hatr to hear that u know. Hell iv worked many jobs from food an bev to real estate an now im currently lookin for a job. I so wish i could do what trule makes me happy, ill do whatever an just look foward to the time i get to engrave in between i guess, its hard to get guns in raw state you know, in italy they get to work on the recievers fresh befor the hardening . Thats a real treat. Anyway i have so many questions but i dont want to bother you unless i get your ok do do so. Thanls agian chris in augusta georgia

richard hall

Elite Cafe Member
You have your youth, dont throw it away, nor waste it. I started engraving in 1977 using a file for a graver, then much like you, I ended up in divorce, with cusody of three kids, 5,6,7 years old..That was 1980 and I didnt have spare time nor extra money, to get myself back into engraving..also, my frame of mind wasnt up to anything except raising kids...I raised them by myself for 14 years..I think I learned to cook but kids say differently.Thats ok, they were good when they were sleeping !! Anyway,you are the only one whom can change your outlook on things. If you wait to long about getting back to engraving, it is time you cant replace. I also think the engraving aspect will give you back some of the patience that is laying under alot of stress right now. The engraving at a bench should help you regain yourself again and put your emotions back on the correct path.. You owe it to your daughter, and, you owe it to yourself !! I can only say, at this point in your life, look at the future, not the past. I know, words are very cheap now at this stage, it might not impact your senses. Hopefully it will sink in.....

clw1974

Thanks for the reply jj. Send me some info on the school or apprentice job or whatever it is. I would love to come an visit or take some classes an learn as much as possible. I feel i have a very good start already but i need to get out of town an be around different people an a new start. Hope to hear back. Chris widener in augusta, ga

clw1974

Thank you so much for your time to write me, and i think you are right about finding myself agian at the bench. And the challenge of what comes with engraving is also what i need, to gain the confidence back an some joy too im hopin. Thanks agian, chris