English Bulldog

Magnus Jensen

Hi everybody, I just have to post this picture!

One day a few weeks ago my son Jesper came to me and said "hey dad I want to do some engraving".
He has never shown any interest of engraving before, only for stonesetting (that what I do for a living).
Well since he is only 9 years old I was not sure that he could handle the GraverMach and understand how to make it work properbly.
But lets give it a try.
I started out with a deep demo of how it works and haw to tune it and what to think of. Just like I do with my students in the stonsetting classes I give.

STUPID ME!!!!!!!!!!! (a typical grown up thing to do)

He told me to dropp it!! And of course he has seen me doing this a number of time so this where no news for him.
So instead of teaching we adjustid the hight of the chair and vise gave him a steel plate with a design he chosed and left him on his own.

Then after a while he came in to me and wanted to showe me what he had done, and I was prepared to give home kind and good words for some scratches.
And instead he showed me this!!!!
Remember that he has never ever used a graver!

Magnus Jensen
(a really proud dad)

Attachments

• Bulldog.jpg
    Bulldog.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 288

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
That's great, nothing like your Son's taking an interest in what you do and wanting to learn more...
Jerry

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
WOW! I know you are proud, I would be too. That is really awesome work & when you take his age into consideration along with it being the first time he used the tool, it is phenomenal!
I hope he stays interested!!

I learned to engrave from my dad!
WL

Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great job!

It looks like he quickly figured out what he could (currently) do with the graver and built a design around it.

That's a recipe for success that is.

Looking forward to seeing his future endevours.

BTW, if he gets interested enough that new GraverSmith seems like just the ticket for an 'assistant' engraver.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Magnus, he hasn't discovered girls yet.....................Ha Ha. You might lose him a little further down the road...........but he will probably come back to it later. Looks like good hand eye coordination and talent to me..........Keep him away from the girls. Heeheehee

pappy

Elite Cafe Member
Wow, Magnus, he really did a great job! If you can get him to keep up with it maybe you can get another Steve Lindsay or Marcus Hunt, I belive they both worked with their fathers. I learned to work on cars, plumbing, electricity, and carpentry from my Dad. I surpassed his skills, but he started me off at an early age and that gave me the time to improve my skills before I was out of high school. He had to work for a living, but I had summers off to learn. Your son is off to a great start!! Good luck!!!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm still tryin to be that good ! i taught my daughter at a very early age to do machine work. she did this well for about 2 years. i was about to intro her to the gravermeister. instead she introduced me to a boy. she lost interest in engraving, but i now have two really swell grand kids ! that's life.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
He will learn the technique as he goes along....

But what impressed me the most is the quality of his drawing. He has a great sense of proportion and spatial relationships....something that I struggle with at 55 yrs.....so congrats to him!

Tom