Engraved maps

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I got onto this subject for several reasons, the biggest one is to practice my engraving. A second is might as well make something I can sell. A third is I just love old maps, and most of these were prints, engraved on copper plate, so cutting them in silver is not too far out of line.

this map is a small section of a much larger Dutch map, from the mid to late 1600's. This and other maps can be found at the Library of Congress site: http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/gmdhome.html

So, this is drawn freehand, on Sterling, 1.9" tall x 1.45" wide. Part of why I did this is to expand the normal range of engraved objects, and the other is to get feedback on my techinque. I know there are things I could do better.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Tom, looks pretty good to me, historically correct cuts, etc.

i have some photos of some 15-16 century maps engraved in brass and copper that I took in some musuems in Germany or Italy. One of these day I intend to orgnaize and post a lot of this cool engraving stuff I have... when I have time....sigh...........

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Looks good to me also Tom. Very "period". Here is a map I did on the buttplate of the "Polar Bear" rifle back in '94 (sounds so long ago). It was tedious work but much fun. Lucie's work is amazing!!!

Attachments

• map.jpg
    map.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 119

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Tom, copper sheet can be obtained from Rio Grande or Santa fe jewelers.
Lots of 18th cent. American powderhorns have the same type images these are called "map horns" with some quite detailed.Maybe something else for you to explore.
Sam, the Polar bear buttplate is "cool" indeed.
Kent

Latest posts

Sponsors