Engraving class

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I just had a week of engraving class with Jerry Huddleston. I had the time of my life. While my artistry has a long way to go, I learned proper sharpening, which I have been struggling with for YEARS. This is going to help me more than anything, getting the tools sharpened right, and making the right tools for each job.

I recommend some training if you've been struggling. Can't emphasize that strongly enough.

I believe this design is out of Meek's book.

Here, Jerry said draw something pretty. This is inlaid copper, silver, 24kt gold and yellow gold.

Marty Rabino, do you know Jerry?

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes I do and he's one of the best. His pistol won the best engraved pistol award at the last FEGA meeting beating out Ron Nott's Colt that he posted pictures of a while back. In the opinion of the FEGA judges, the best pistol won. Wish we had some pictures of it to post. Did you see the gun?

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
This is my first attempt at attachments.

This is a picture of Jerry's pistol, from his website: http://www.jwh-flintlocks.net . I wish I could have seen this in person, but it not only got best engraved pistol award, but he sold it at the show!

Attachments

• JWH.jpg
    JWH.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 139

banjo_art

Check out his web site. Photos are great.

Does any one know how the silver wire is held in the wood? I would think .004 to .008 round silver wire would not hold very well even with epoxy. Perhaps it is rectangular or some irregular shape. Any info on this would be appreciated like wire dimensions and how the wood is cut.

Are there any instruction books describing this method of decoration?

Thanks
--Art

DanM

Elite Cafe Member
Silver wire inlay into wood isn't very hard to do. the wire is usually fine silver flat bezel wire 28 guage X 1.5mm. the tools are mostly homemade from hack saw blades and maple is the preferred wood. the chisel is pushed or lightly hammered to create a line in which the silver wire is placed.the wire is burnished into the slot and water is applied to make the maple wood swell and hold the wire tight.after the wood has dried any wire over the surface of the wood is filed flush.the wood is then finished normally to your preferences.photos of a couple practice plates and tools.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
The wire inlay on the wood is actually a ribbon, set in vertically. The sides of the ribbon are scored with a file to add 'tooth' to hold the ribbon in the wood. Channels are punched in the wood to receive the ribbon.

There's a tutorial how to do this wire inlay on the American Long Rifle site ( http://www.americanlongrifles.com/american-longrifles-BBS-frame.htm ), by Taylor Sapergia.
title: Wire Inlay - RCA #57 Tutorial
You must go to the tutorial section, listed under "Bulletin Board"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors