engraving history

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
i have an idea for a article for the forum.it is about the history of engraving tools and people that made a big influence on the engraving world.we all love our tools.if i can ask members to give some old photos or interesting bits of info.maybe not just tools but all things engraving like mr smith and his scroll design.it would be nice to see some of the factories that produce engraving tools and there history,some photos of things being made and so on.all tools welcome.what do you think? i am sure it will be good reading.:D

Last edited:

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jacques...I like that idea! I have quite a file on engravers, both in the US and Europe, plus info on tools...I would be glad to share...sounds good to me.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
does any body have photos and info of factories of engraving tools and some influential people of the past.if you have feel free to post them and wright something about them.i would like to see something on mr meeks and mr smith,i am sure that most of us know them by there books but i would like to know and see more of them.things that we have not seen would be nice.:D

Ray Cover

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
How about some of the icons in tool design and manufacture like Dixon, Bowman and Grobet, etc?

Are you talking about writing an article or an ecyclopedia? I am sure this could turn into quite a daunting task. :eek:

jacques herbst

Elite Cafe Member
i am hoping that the members would do most of the work.specially the people that have actually met some of the legends.after giving it some more thought it has dawned on me what i have said and asked for:eek: