fairly odd thing to engrave

nicglass1

i just finished this yesterday. yes i know it's not the best looking engraving job to ever be done and it's rather simple, but oh well i like it. this is the bullet from a 25mm machine gun, the ones mounted up on the LAV's the marines and army have. i have no idea what it is made out of, but i do know that it is HARD. granted it was fired out of a gun at a high rate of speed and then hit the ground, but it was really hard to engrave on. i picked this up on a firing range last time we were training out at Fort Hood, and since i check out of the marine corps for good on saturday after a 6 year stint i figured i could give this to my commanding officer for a paper wieght. well anyway, here it is.

Attachments

• DSCF0331 (Large).JPG
    DSCF0331 (Large).JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCF0333 (Large).JPG
    DSCF0333 (Large).JPG
    34 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF0334 (Large).jpg
    DSCF0334 (Large).jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 132
  • DSCF0335 (Large).jpg
    DSCF0335 (Large).jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF0336 (Large).jpg
    DSCF0336 (Large).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 125

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'm sure the co would be proud to get that projectile. what did you engrave it with. if that thing is depleted uranium, you best not be breathing the dust. thanks for your years of service and good luck to you. are you planning to contine engraving ? if you are you have come to the right place. lotsa helpful people here.

nicglass1

i used a 90 degree and a flat for the whole thing, pretty much had a resharpen the tip every 10 minutes or so. and i am pretty sure that it's not depleted uranium, as far as i know the only things that shoot that is the SEWIS (the huge anti air gun on navy ships) and the army probbaly wouldn't allow it shot on the base anyway. and yes i have every intention to continue to engrave. i truly do love doing it, i just wish i could find someone to actually teach me how to do it:) this self taught thing is rather slow going. no i can't go to a GRS class, i use an OLD Gravemiester (no upgrade kit) and a sharpen my gravers by eye (no fixture), but i do have a powerhone! YAY!

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
fairly odd thing

i used a 90 degree and a flat for the whole thing, pretty much had a resharpen the tip every 10 minutes or so. and i am pretty sure that it's not depleted uranium, as far as i know the only things that shoot that is the SEWIS (the huge anti air gun on navy ships) and the army probbaly wouldn't allow it shot on the base anyway. and yes i have every intention to continue to engrave. i truly do love doing it, i just wish i could find someone to actually teach me how to do it:) this self taught thing is rather slow going. no i can't go to a GRS class, i use an OLD Gravemiester (no upgrade kit) and a sharpen my gravers by eye (no fixture), but i do have a powerhone! YAY!

continue reading all, that is all the postings on the forum, you will learn one heck of a lot that way. sam and others sell instructional videos. you'll learn that way as well. you'll learn more even, just by practicing drawing and cutting. keep it simple at first. don't try to emulate what you see some of the folks doing. it will take you a very long time to develop that far. but, practice will get you there. the a10 warthog shoots depleted uranium munitions and so does some of the select attack hellicopters. what you probably cut was just an ordinary steel projectile with the copper bands that dig into the bbl grooves. anyone on this forum will answer your questions. don't hesitate to ask. good luck, and i think i can speak for all the participants here on the forum-- thanks for your years of service in the usmc !!:D