FEGA Convention Las Vegas- Engraving Classes?

Steveareno

Has anyone considered doing engraving lessons at the FEGA convention? I noticed that Bob Evens and Barry Lee Hands will be doing seminars but I was wondering if there will be any hands on classes. They could be one day or three day classes maybe 6 hours a day so you could still see the show. Possible set up in a separate room at the hotel.

Thanks,
Steve

Andrew Biggs

Hi Steve

It's a bit impractical to do that. The show is busy with everyone attending to their own business and the BOD members attending to running the mechanics of the show. Plus getting all the equipment there and setting up would be a nightmare. There are already people like GRS, Ray Cover, etc etc taking classes so that area is already well covered.

The seminars are about as good as we can do and they are well worth the effort of attending. You learn something new with each speaker.

Having said that, you will learn a lot just attending the show. It's quite inspirational seeing all the engraved canvases on show and talking to the various engraving artists that created them. They are a friendly lot and have endless patience answering all sorts of questions. Where else can you sit down with the likes of Sam Welch, Lee Griffiths, Marty Rabeno, Mike Dubber and a host of others and discuss techniques and ideas.

I would recommend anyone starting out engraving to attend the show. You will learn and see a lot that you can take back to your work bench.

Cheers
Andrew

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Following up on what Andrew has said..sitting in a room teaching a class is the last thing many of us would want to do at the FEGA annual meeting. Time is too short and we have not seen each other in quite some time to want to isolate ourselves and not take advantage of the friendships and sharing. For many or us we are glad to just be able to make it out there with all the curve balls life can throw at us. Many of my friends know exactly what I mean.
Hope you dont take this comment as a put down as many things can be misconstrued here online. But thats the way it is with all due respect. There is a time and a place for everything and the meeting is the place for friendships and sharing. Hope to see you there.
Marty

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Ray Phillips and GRS usually have tables with their engraving equipment set up in the show and you can also get some demo and try time with them as well as asking many questions of many engravers. The show is about as good as an engraving class.

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since I joined FEGA in 2000 or so I have been to the Exhibition almost every year. Every time I went without exception, the members there answered questions cheerfully, graciously and enthusiastically about the art, mechanics, and any other aspect related to hand engraving which is what we're all about. Don't underestimate the amount you can learn through asking questions and intense observation.

Take lots of pictures, ask lots of questions, take notes and apply what you pick up that way. That is how I learned to engrave, that's in part how Andrew learned and a host of others; we went home and put chips on the floor, made mistakes and learned from them and forged ahead and asked more questions "next year". There is a lot going on behind the scenes to make the Exhibition work and the more seamless it seems to the public and the membership, the better we are doing our jobs; it's supposed to be that way.

As Andrew and Marty alluded to, although your suggestion is a noble and interesting one, there is simply not enough time in our show and it's a poor venue for that sort of thing any more in-depth than a seminar. Thank you for suggesting what you did as we are always looking to improve things and create value for the folks that come to partake in our passion. Cheers. Tim

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors