Finished DLV layout

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
based on the d, which i think pretty fair- i'd expand the l a bit and would reduce the right side loop of the v a little bit. you need not be a slave "to the line" when engraving. however, if you're not happy with the layout to begin with, you'll not likely be satisfied with the graven result. this type lettering can be a bit intimidating if you're just beginning to work with it. above all, never give up. better results come from more practice. the fight is never won when the towel is tossed in.

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Jim,
I know your trying get an interesting effect by having the same motif in all three
initials,but I know what my wife would say if she saw them.
Are the initials DLL, instead of DLV. I think I would drop the loop down on the V so
it's more vertical. You could then leave the loop at top of the V.

Jim

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I agree with Jim's and Monk's assesment, but also I would add just a little more bulk to the "L" to match the others.
Nice layout otherwise, your customer should like it and only some minimal corrections. I can cut it much more accurately than I can draw it and possibly so can you, meaning it will smooth up some after and during engraving.
Ron S

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
by all means , when something aggravates you walk away. engraving is fun, when you learn to relax, be comfortable at your bench, and i believe you shouldn't push beyond your comfort zone. others here will stone me for this , and that's ok. but i think it's better to enjoy the learning process than to make it a frustration. i nearly gave up on engraving long ago out of this very premise. a very few people set me straight. one such person that was a key to my longevity in this art, was roger bleile. he recently visited the forum, and now participates. he visited my home a long time ago, and i must say, he supplied me with whatever "stuff" i needed to "keep at it". btw, i can teach you how to make your own pantograph templates if you're interested. jayismonk450@gmail.com