First handgun attempt...

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
I know I have much to learn, that is why I am here. I started engraving 10 months ago and have been to one school at GRS. This old dog is ready to learn new tricks, so to speak. This is a work inprogress.:handpiece:

Attachments

• engraved 007.jpg
    engraved 007.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 283

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looks good for your first go. I'm assuming a lot of the experts are going to give you some good advice that will help all of us. I would watch your curves to make sure they don't make sharp turns (elbows). I would also watch your background punch to make sure it doesn't hit the bevel cuts. The background will take a lot less work if you make your leaves reach up and touch the spine above them. Keep cutting. They more you do the more fun it will be and the better it will look. BTW look at the pictures on the site. Find something you like each time you start and then try to emulate it.

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
Carbide with 55 X 25. Broke the tip right off and resharpened. It lasted until this part was done. Still have the other side to finish. This is much harder than anything I have cut in practice. On my practice plates, I used Glenn Steel gravers. 45X15 with a short heel.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gun Nut, Welcome to the interesting world of engraving. You are doing well so far. I would suggest that you recut your main lines on the leaves and stems after you do your backgrounding, to clean up the edges and give the work more "life". You should also practice rolling the graver as you make the cut, as this will give the cuts more illusion of depth. Cut carefully, cut often.

Gun Nut

Elite Cafe Member
Nope, not my gun. A friend asked me to cut it before I went to school. He was aware I was new to this but he said it would be good practice for me. As far as being nervous, heck yes, but after the first cut, you can't stop now......

billrice@charter.net

Elite Cafe Member
Gun Nut Nice first gun. This makes me want to engrave a gun myself. I am working on getting up the courage to do some cutting on a pistol myself. I understand the nervous feeling that is probably what holds me back. I need to just sit down and make the time and get past the first cut like you
Thanks for posting this photo

Latest posts

Sponsors