First Henry Rifle project

billyProps

Hello,

I’m starting my first Henry Rifle project and I’m wondering what the best ways to finish whatever metal this is. I would just call it pot metal but I’m sure it’s not technically…it’s white and non ferrous and customer service couldn’t tell me either. It has black enamel which I probably won’t scratch up too much and can repair easily enough, but I’m thinking the cut metal will need some antique solution or other paint, or is it common to leave it unfinished and bright? I messed up the leaf/scroll behind the ejection port pretty good. We’ll see what shading hides 94BD175E-B127-4DDB-8F9D-08DDF064A0D4.jpeg

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i have done a few guns and just left the engraving contrast with the black background. this is not tradition. most will cover the engraving with some form of colorant such as rustoleum paint. your gun is not pot metal. it is likely aluminum. best to use a lube for doing aluminum. i'm thinking annodizing the scroll would work. such would be difficult to do without affecting the background

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when the engraving is finished, if you like the look, be sure to use clear lacquer or a good wax to prevent corrosion

Latest posts

Sponsors