First Hobo Nickel

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Using up a couple of 'use it or lose it' vacation days so I have some time to work. Made the ever-indulgent wife another bracelet yesterday (just a copper 'test' bracelet to fine tune the size). Felt like doing some more work so I decided to try my hand at a nickel. After all, if I do too badly, I'm only out some time and five cents, right? ;)

Can't do a traditional 'guy with a hat' - just don't have the drawing / sculpting skills for that kind of thing - but I can do a rosette.

Took a couple of hours to get the field reasonably flat. I was going to leave all the wording on the coin but a slip of the graver changed my mind on that. :eek:

Didn't come out too bad, in the end. Put my mark and the serial number (HN001) on the edge.

Have to do some more when I get the time.

Attachments

• SVDHN001.jpg
    SVDHN001.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 212

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Another nickel Carver?

Oh great, More competition.

Seriously, That's good work. Don't worry about drawing or sculpting skills, the basic hobo in a hat is pretty easy. After doing a few of those, try adding a little more detail, alter the profile, yadda, yadda, yadda, you're doing multiple metal inlays and carving portraits.

Enjoy1

Joe Paonessa
(America's greatest left handed hobo nickel carver)

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Ditto....
Bead blast it, tone it and put it on ebay for some money to spend on your engraving habit....
If you search my posts, you will find a recipe and directions for toning....
I use transparencies and Tom White's Transfer Magic, No artistic talent required....
Have fun,
Stephen

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Don't have access to a bead blaster right now but I might try heat-toning it.

If I can get it away from the ever-indulgent wife I may put it up for sale. Checked and I see that most of the nickels on eBay seem to go for $10 - $20 but I also notice that David's great little ship is up to a much nicer amount.

They are addictive - I already want to do another after I finish a few more projects in my queue.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Hobo nickels on Ebay

Hi Steve,

Yes, most hobo nickels on Ebay go for $10-20, but most of those are short time low effort pieces, produced in quantities that make the price worth the minimal effort. The better the quality you put in, the better the price you are going to see. Watch the nickels that are put up by members of this forum, you won't see them selling in that price range.

For a cheap bead blaster, I went to the local Hobby Lobby and bought one of their glass etching kits. It uses a can of compressed air and a spray-like attachment with the blast media. About $20 and works fine for the 2-3 second blast that a nickel needs.

Have Fun

Joe Paonessa
(America's greatest left handed nickel carver)

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Great Nickel Steve!
they are pretty fun to do. I can not believe how mine is doing on ebay.
Gtsport
I see your signature (America's greatest left handed nickel carver) that is great but i am left handed and in about 20 or 30 more years i am going to challenge you for your title
lol
Dave

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ok Stephen, I took your advice.

Hit Hobby Lobby - the Armour 'Sand Etch Kit' is up to $40 these days but as little as it takes to do a nickel it should work out in the end. They also make a $20 'Inflate-a-Booth' - yes, an inflatable blasting booth. Not a bad little item - basically an inflatable foot stool with a pair of holes for your arms. There's a zipper that goes half-way around the top to make it easy to get stuff in and out.

After a light dulling I heat-toned it and then rubbed it with Comet cleanser. Took a shot of the 'updated' nickel as well as shot of the signature / serial number on the edge.

Definitely makes it easier to see the engraving. Thanks for the tips! :)

Attachments

• SVDHN001b.jpg
    SVDHN001b.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 60
  • SVDHN001c.jpg
    SVDHN001c.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 53

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Much cleaner, Steve.

It still amazes me the difference blasting and darkening can do to to a coin. Also, I hope you used the 40% off coupon from the Hobby Lobby website for your blaster, I guess I should have mentioned that in the first post.

To Dave:

My actual title is "America's greatest left handed hobo nickel carver East of the Mississippi, west of Grosse Point and North of Chicago", so the rest of the country is open.

Joe Paonessa

Sponsors