first image post

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jack...I love the way you did that hawk...the flow of the feathers, highlight in the eye, the pose with the beak open, you can almost hear him screeching. Great job, show us some more. Keep up the good work.

JJ Roberts
Manassas VA

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jack,

I add my congratulations to the others on a job well done. I offer the following as another option on the treatment of feathers. When I think of feathers I thnk of light soft edges. To create this effect on birds a couple of simple ways would be to cut the outline of the feather lighter and when shading back into that feather from the next feather which lies underneath continue some of the cuts slightly past the edge or outline of the feather on top. This will create a slightly ragged edge that will soften the outline. It is also possible to create the outline without actually cutting it but by simply stopping the underlying shade cuts where the outline would be if it were cut. This can make a very nice soft outline. It depends on the effect your are trying to create but many times the softer edge will look more realistic and less mechanical. You have shaded the lower portion of the neck creating a nice roundness and form to the body. If you want a more dramatic look you may be able to push that slightly more. This is a matter of taste and quite subjective. In my bulino work I am constantly trying new ways to create new textures or feeling. These are simply a couple of options to add to your repertiore.

Thanks Lee: I would like to see an example of what you are describing, I crave more knowledge of shading and creating illusions on metal, could you post an example? Thanks in advance. Jack D.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jack, Example 1 shows a common and sometimes excellent way to portray feathers. The edges are hard and well defined. Their appearance is often quite mechanical and stylized. Example 2 shows the edges more ragged and will have a softer more feathery (I'm sorry that was terrible) appearance. Be careful to not overdue something I quickly ddrew. If you squint and look at #2 it will have an x in it. If the whole bird is done this way it will be too even and again mechanical or what I call formula engraving. It was a quick drawing to show the ragged edges I spoke of.

Attachments

• jack.jpg
    jack.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 26

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i'd be afraid to be in the same room with that bird ! looks to me like he'd tear you a new one !
what's the metal ss or crs ? that's really a clean piece !

Thank You Lee: One thing that is becoming clear to me is that I have to be willing to spend more time on a project to make it pass my approval, I am not an expert engraver but I have a vision of what I want mine to look like, your posting willl help me, again thanks