Flying Gargol with torch and leaves:

loyd freeman

I few days ago Some one came up with a beautiful picture that was in an old engraving book.A flying Gargol with toarch and leaves. I was so impressed with the image that I transfered it to a new buckle I acquired from Red Bluff buckle company. After a few hours I finished it and the image is really something. I went to Amozon Books and ordered the book which will come in May. If the rest of the designs are as beautiful as the Flying Gargol I will be happy to spend some more hours In my quest of becoming a better engraver. For the life of me I can,t take a picture of the buckle because of the flash back of the silver finish. Thanks for the info and the constant information given by members of the ENGRAVER,S CAFE. Loyd Freeman

Andrew Biggs

Hi Loyd

There's some good previous threads on ways to photograph you work to stop the reflection. All of them cheap to do. You may want to rat around and see if you can find them.

A good instant way to do it is take the photo outside on a cloudy day so the light is a little more dissapated. Or get someone to hold some butchers paper or newsprint to block out the reflection and direct sunlight. They are quick and dirty methods but they can work when you're in a hurry.

The only way a flash will work is if it's bounced off something which is another thread all by itself.

Give those ideas a go and see if you can post a photo. I'd love to see what you've done.

Cheers
Andrew

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Loyd
I use a wal mart day light [$20] and wrap a piece of copy paper around it to defuse the light..The background makes a lot of difference too.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Another little tip for quick relatively good photos along with the "outside on a cloudy day", and light difusers is to spray it with Brownells clear, flat matte bake on enamel. It comes off easily with acetone or paint thinner if you don't bake it, but will give you a nicer photo and will kill the shine. Makes bulino show up nicely too.
Ron S

loyd freeman

Scott, I forgot the name of the book but when it comes I will post it for you. The design worked out well as every thing was stippled and then using SAMS flat black paint to bring out the design. Came out just like the picture. Loyd

loyd freeman

Scott: The name of the book is Graphic Ornaments 1900 { Pepin Press Design Books } Pepin Van Roojen Paperbook $ 16.47 from Amazon .com Delivery the last of May or the first of June. Cheers,Loyd

en2siastic

More gargol

Hello,
Here a some other gargols. These are copies that I got back in school, they are from LIENARD, 19th century artist.
Best regards.
Francis

Attachments

• IMG_WEB.jpg
    IMG_WEB.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0001_WEB.jpg
    IMG_0001_WEB.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0002_WEB.jpg
    IMG_0002_WEB.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0003_WEB.jpg
    IMG_0003_WEB.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 262
I Sell Red Bluff The Metal Buckles For Their Back Cinch Buckles. They Do Quality Work On The Buckles. I Am One Of The Few People They Will Allow In Their Shop Where All Of The Silver Work Is Done. It Is Very Interesting To See Some Of The Methods.
Ted Twofeathers

Lucky you, en2siastic, to have a copy of the Lienhard book. I assume it is his Decoration and Ornamentation of the XIXth Century. A copy was auctioned in 2003 by Greg Martin Auctions (http:www.gmartin-auctions.com) as Lot 1367. Lots 1367 through 1375 included the personal effects of Louis D. Nimschke (Personal Tools, pistols, sketches & design reference books).

Nimschke was probably the most famous and respected 19th Century American Gun Engraver. Unfortunately, my pockets weren't deep enough to acquire any of these wonderful mementoes.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
red bluff buckles

ted two feathers: do you sell engraveable blanks ? or do you just work on buckles that are to be sold to clients. if you can sell blanks contact monk45@verizon.net:)

Monk
I Sell Steel Buckles Made Of Cold Rolled Steel. I Make Back Cinch Buckles, Headstall Buckles And Belt Buckles. Some Of The Buckles I Dress And Some I Sell To The Buckle Makers Because The Work In Silver Only. If You Would Like Some Buckles Get In Touch.

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was just reviewing some older posts and was floored by the 4th sample of the Lienard engravings. Did anyone else really look at that print? The subject matter is truly wierd! I would love to know what it fully represents and what book it was designed for. There are the four strangled creatures, the rat, the snake, the bird and the disemboweled chimera. Why the frog is just impaled and hanging in there, is also a mystery. The knot work is probably also symbolic. The greatest mystery symbolism is the "swallowed" Cupid figure in the belly of the chimera. (Note also that his quiver of arrows is empty...significant ???) Was this for some 1860's occult work, or what? Any thoughts from the geniuses that abound on this forum? Also, I never studied French, does the translation read " The end of the collecton of the Chimera"?

Mark

en2siastic

Hello MarK,

Your translation is right, “The end of the collection of the chimeraâ€￾. Lienard’s book is separated in three parts, the first one is a collection of chimeras, the second and the third are examples of ornaments of buildings, ceilings, doors, monuments…
I don’t know if there is any occult work to see, but usually these ornaments represent battles between cupids and chimeras.
The translation of the third picture is “The seven deadly sinsâ€￾
Francis.

Attachments

• 00000038_WEB.jpg
    00000038_WEB.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 92

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
en2siastic,

Very interesting! Now I'm going have to try and find out why Cupids and Chimeras hate each other so. The ornamentation he created was not totally unique for the period but harken back to illustrations of much earlier centuries. He was still extreamly creative within the accepted genre.

Thanks for the postings,

Mark

monk

Staff member
have more fun- check out some of the works ( oil paintings ) of hieronymous bosch. this guy will turn on some lights in a basement where the boogeyman is afraid to go.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
Loyd,

Any chance this is the image you found?

Gary

Attachments

• Griffin torch leaves GO-084-0.jpg
    Griffin torch leaves GO-084-0.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 50

Latest posts

Sponsors