Question: For my Jewelry colleges and Maybe James Miller

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was over at The Hand Engravers Association of Great Britain homepage and the sample illustrated is this lovely and quite stunning pair of rings. I was not able to locate the artist in the artist section so-
How did they do that. I believe it must be some kind of translucent enamel over the engraving but because it goes around the ring How the do that?

Attachments

• home_3.jpg
    home_3.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 193

delder

Elite Cafe Member
Looks like it mighty be this producy called Colorit. It's cured with a special lamp . I understand it can be compared to a Dental filling that's cured with a special light. I like the effect.

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I am not quite familiar with this technique but indeed it can be done with translucent enamel.
You firts make the engraving than cover this with the enamel, heat it up until the enamel is melting.
You have to let it cooling down, after that you grind te enamel to a flat suface and heat it up again to become a shiny and smooth surface.

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
Those are very nice indeed.
Gesswein company sells the UV light cured dental type stuff which in a way is preferable to glass fired enamel because it is more durable. During my jewelry career I have seen many such enamel rings cracked and broken in short time because it is basically a glass covered ring. These types of products are only suitable for occasional wear such as a dinner party or evening out.
To fire these I have hung them on a bent nichrome wire in a kiln. The enamel melts and flows but does not run and sag towards the bottom.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I thank you both for your responses. I think there is some real potential in the protection of bulino work for other than guns here. I can see this used in a lot of neck wear and display work. It is quit nice I will continue to pursue Thanks again-Fred

Jane

Elite Cafe Member
I thank you both for your responses. I think there is some real potential in the protection of bulino work for other than guns here. I can see this used in a lot of neck wear and display work. It is quit nice I will continue to pursue Thanks again-Fred

I agree, I also see it serving a good purpose for pendants. Neat!

James Miller

I was over at The Hand Engravers Association of Great Britain homepage and the sample illustrated is this lovely and quite stunning pair of rings. I was not able to locate the artist in the artist section so-
How did they do that. I believe it must be some kind of translucent enamel over the engraving but because it goes around the ring How the do that?

This is most definately hard fired translucent enamelling, judging by the style I would guess that it might have been the work of Rachel Gogerly, see; http://www.rachelgogerly.co.uk/
Hard fired enamels are quite tough, they will only scratch if they come in contact with a hard pointed object.

James Miller

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
James, Thank you for your reply and the link. It certainly does look like her style. She is quit talentedI will continue my research. Have a great day-Fred

Last edited: