OK, I'm gonna give this a shot.

Holy cow, I did it!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Goose print.jpg
    Goose print.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 265

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Joe , don't ask me, I don't even know how i did it.........Can you relate to that?

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Bravo, Ron
I just read your bio on the GRS website. As a beginner, I'd like to know more.
I suggest that your Cafe Interview is OVER due.
In addition, I'd like to know more about the engraving process to make prints...
Respectfully,
Stephen

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stephen, the goose print is not actually a print, but a lythograph, printed with modern methods. An actual print from an engraving is a true print whereby you engrave the plate backwards, the plate is inked (an art in itself), a damp piece of rag paper is placed over the plate, then covered with a felt blanket, then rolled through an etching press. You get one copy for that effort, you hang it up to dry, and then have to start the process all over again for another print.

sdcoxx

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you, Ron
Some advise if you would, please. I'm a beginner. I've been practicing on buffalo nickels for the past year. Yes, hobo nickels. I sell them on ebay. I enjoy the mini bas relief form of engraving. I've taken the GRS basic engraving class and intermediate class in 2006. I just completed the GRS western silver engraving class. I hope to incorperate as many different engraving forms into my engraving arsenal as possilbe. I've got lots jto learn, NO doubt...
Based on my enjoyment of the bas relief engraving, what types or format of engraving would suggest I look at?
Secondly, I've wanted to engrave a knife. I've read about 914 ss for engraving, I can't tell 914 from 440ss.
Which knives are nice for a beginner to engrave? I've heard about a Remington at Walmart, they carry a dozen Remington knives. Which one, the one with the nickel silver bolsters? The 4'' Spyderco?
This engraving adventure has been a lot of fun... I need a little direction...
Please, search ebay for hobo nickles to see my work or search my ebay ID, sdcoxx.
I look forward to putting your lithograph in my shop.
Sincerely,
Stephen

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well, Stephen........you sound like a man after my own heart. Learn 'em all!! Everything you learn will enhance your skill, patience, discipline and such. Print making is very relaxing compared to others, and that would be the Bulino style work. It is also very gratifying with the shading and such, but the most important things are designing, and making your tools do what you desire. If you can do that, you can do anything you wish with quality. The question about metals, is too broad to answer, but again, if you can handle your tools, you can cut almost anything with carbide. Some things are just more enjoyable than others. Some things will give you fits in the bulino style, while bolder work is no problem....Forward!!.........Ron S

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
hay smith, i like your print very much. i'm looking forward to winning it, bro !

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks guys, it was fun!!. I hope who ever wins it enjoys it in good health and prosperity. Congratulations on the 1000 goal when it gets here, and my guess would have been, "in a few days". :))

CUTTING METAL

Ron's "Goose" print is just beautiful and I was lucky enough to get one as he gave a print to each of his students in his scroll drawing class as a personnal gift from him. Thank you again Ron, I will always value this print from you and remember what a great group of people we had in your class at GRS this past winter.

Dick Sheehan

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
Thank You, Ron

I bumped my guess up to .....yesterday. So close! Thank you, Ron, for the opportunity to try to win such a nice example of your work.

Canadian Geese are such magnificent birds---it's fun to watch the young broods under the watchful eyes of one or more parents when I'm out fishing in the spring. In the fall, I also enjoy the taste of the mature birds. The sight and sound of a flock approaching and flaring into your decoys is wonderful.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Right on Karl,...... ride on!.......... Never hunted geese, but always wanted to, just didn't have the place to go and couldn't spend the money on a lease. I did a lot of duck hunting however. Was great fun hunting over deeks. and watching a good Lab work. I had bird (quail) dogs for a number of years. Did you get any sandbass this spring? No water here during the season,..........Ron S

Karl Stubenvoll

Elite Cafe Member
Dear Ron,

I've lived virtually all of my life in Wisconsin or Upper Michigan, and I plead ignorance of "sandbass." If you are talking about smallmoth bass, the answer is a hearty YES! Our water level on Lake Michigan is down, but the fishing has been very good. Just after iceout I landed 10 brown trout that averaged 7 lbs---my smoker got a great workout.

Waterfowl hunting with longtime buddies trading stories in a blind on a lake or field is wonderful living. I've never needed a lease as I've had the right friends with farms who were very happy to have me help to eliminate their "pest" problems---either whitetails or geese. CFR (Commercial Forest Reserve) lands in the UP can provide some great shoreline hunting---again, lease free.