gravers for about 5 cents

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
for those on a budget, this could work. forge not needed. nor is a $400 post vise. a hand held mapp gas torch will work beautifully for this. the spring thingy can be had for maybe 50 cents-- or even free at any junk yard. one spring would make maybe 100 gravers.
the problem would be to learn of the most used geometries and incoporate that into a reasonable sharpening scenario.

416Rigby

Thanks Monk,

Very Cool Video, I have always had a problem doing the heat treat because of being partially color blind myself.

I know a lot of the other engravers know this, but another idea for cheap gravers is,
using allen wrenches, making them into gravers, and Chisels. The rockwell hardness on the allen wrenches is like spring steel and sharpen very easy. I collected the USA made allen wrenches of all sizes at sales, and swap meets.
. I simply made a holder out of cold roll round rod, drilled a hole to accept the size of allen wrench that I was using for a chisel, drilled a hole, and tapped a hole for the set screw. Wrapped the handle in rubber tape. I dug one out of my tool chest, for a photo op. Sorry for the rust, but you will get the basic idea. I made this one about 20 years ago, but still use them every once in awhile.

Ron

Attachments

• 20211220_083402.jpg
    20211220_083402.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 51

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hello Monk.
Old quality steel American made Allen wrenches make great engraving and scrimshaw tools as you know.
Good quality and easily hardened steel
Using the bottom of the short, bent down end shaped and sharpened they make some of the best tools for background removal. Shaped into flats, knives or ongelettes,
That shape of a tool gives you a great view of the work area and is easier to work with near raised edges.
With the proper shape and sharpening it also makes a wonderful bulino or scrimshaw tool.

monk

Staff member
Hello Monk.
Old quality steel American made Allen wrenches make great engraving and scrimshaw tools as you know.
Good quality and easily hardened steel
Using the bottom of the short, bent down end shaped and sharpened they make some of the best tools for background removal. Shaped into flats, knives or ongelettes,
That shape of a tool gives you a great view of the work area and is easier to work with near raised edges.
With the proper shape and sharpening it also makes a wonderful bulino or scrimshaw tool.
john: right you are. i do a bit of blacksmithing and am quite familiar with using old materials and tools. i recently bought a post vise that blacksmiths use. it's about 140 years old and is just about brand new xcept for a few scars here & there. got it on the bay for $150 bucks includin shipping !!!
i've tried hex wrenches, but never found favor with the material. i have made gravers from everything immagineable.

Leland Davis

Elite Cafe Member
Since John B. posted how he makes gravers with the square brass tubing I use them nearly all the time. My dentist saves the old carbide burrs for me. Epoxy into the tubing and sharpen to what ever geometry I need. When the carbide gets to short heat with a torch pull out the old 1 and glue in a new 1. Probably costs more than a nickel but still cheap and very effective.

monk

Staff member
Since John B. posted how he makes gravers with the square brass tubing I use them nearly all the time. My dentist saves the old carbide burrs for me. Epoxy into the tubing and sharpen to what ever geometry I need. When the carbide gets to short heat with a torch pull out the old 1 and glue in a new 1. Probably costs more than a nickel but still cheap and very effective.
yes. the "jb trick" as i've called it allowed me to get down & dirty on doing hobo nickels. didn't have to mess around with regular gravers using the dental tools as you mentioned.

Latest posts

Sponsors