Great inkjet transfers

msar24

If you want a laser printer, Dell has their model 1110 listed for $99. We use them at work and have not had any problems with them. The cartridge that comes with them will not last very long, but the repalcement cartridge from Dell is about $60 and will last for several thousand pages.

Hay Kevin

Seeing your using the laser printer and the soap worked, if you want try using super glue in place of the dammar, put a couple of nice dots of glue down, put the transfer over the wet glue, spread the glue with your thumb, don’t push hard just enough so you can see through the transfer that the glue is even, let sit for a couple minutes then pull slowly you may even want to burnish with a metal burnish before. But I have to tell you it makes the clearest images I done it was so good I thought the transfer sheet was still laying on the metal. If you try it let me know.

God Bless
Ron Proulx

msar24

Ron,

Tried the superglue today. Had a few issues. It was thick in some areas and non-existent in others. I think it was because it dried fast. Wherever there was glue the image transferred but I'll have to keep working with it to get the process perfected.

Kevin

Hay Kevin

I'll look at the brand I used, it looked as if it was a little thicker then others I've had, at this point I'm just playing around the dammar works fine with the soap and laser printer. The work is really starting to come in like crazy so my fun time is getting very limited.

Plus I've posted so many things on here in the last week people will be glad not to see my name all over the forum.

Keep in touch; remember if you're up this way visiting give me a call.

God Bless
Ron Proulx

transfers

Thanks Ron: This was all that I needed to make transfers a working project not an experiment, this works so well that I said to myself, now I can go to work. I cut some letters and when I started to stipple some, my gravermach just stopped, seems the reostate or speed adjuster went out when I tried to adjust to a slower speed. I will try to talk to GRS tommorow, Thanks again for the answer to my transfer problems, your method works just fine for me. Thanks Jack Davenport.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, What type of super glue are you using? It sounds interesting. How hard is it to lift the transfer medium off? I heat the metal a little before putting the dammar solution on the metal. Then after the solution is on the metal I pass the heat gun over it agin. Then I put the Transparency in place and burnish. It has made all the difference.

Sandy;

I was playing around with Loctite super glue. Most of what I wrote about the transfers was only something
I figured out in the last couple of weeks after seeing so many posts with people having problems doing it the traditional
way it’s been done for years, I’m just one of those kind of people who loves it when I’m told it can’t be done or this is the only way
it will work, I’ll go 24 7 until I figure it out. What I did find out is there are so many ways to do this but one method doesn’t fit all
I also think I figured a way how to do this on compact curves, basically making the transfer flexible the problem is I work
alone and my wife has cancer so I just haven’t had time to see if my theory works.

God Bless
Ron Proulx

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Ya I understand. I am the same way about stuff that somebody tells me I cant. I'll work my but off and bar no expense till I figure out how to do it.

I had a bought with the "C" a few years back myself. It takes a lot of time on those around you. Keep a good thought my friend. Thanks for all your help. I'll keep a good thought for your wife and you.

msar24

Ron,

You've got enough to do. I'll figure out the superglue issue. I'll get a few differnet types/brands and see how they work.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi John

First rub soap on laser transparency, dry with hair dryer, then put hair Gel over that, Dry with hair dryer then print(MAKE SURE YOU USE HOLDING HAIR GEL not hair spray)the gel comes in a hand pump spray but it is holding hair GEL not just hair spray.

God Bless
Ron Proulx
from the worlds' dumbest engraver: if you rub with bar soap, why would it require drying ? bar soap is dry to stars with.

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Ron, I gotta say, YOU ARE A GENIUS!

I played around with your method, and struggled with the Damar/alcohol/burnishing. Poor results, much of the image was left on the transparency.

THEN I tried the Crazy glue method, and I got an ABSOLUTELY clean, crisp, clear transfer.

I bought some 3M Multipurpose Transparency Film CG6000 (I don't think it matters what brand, just needs to glossy) I also found I could use a sheet over and over again, just by washing it with alcohol.

So I soaped the film first, with barsoap, which was fairly dry to begin with, spread it around with my highly technical fingers to an even film. I let the soap sit for an hour, even though it wasn't wet to begin with. It's more like a waxy grease. Then I spread the gel around with my finger. Don't have a hair dryer, so I just let it dry. Then I printed the image. (I have a Brother all-in-one with very limited ink controls. I set it for 'transparency')

I put three drops of Dollar General crazy glue in a line, estimating that I'd need that much glue for my image. I laid the image over the plate, and squeegee'd the film down with a credit card onto the glue. I think the glue set instantly. I pulled the transparency off with NO ink remaining on the film at all. I was able to wash the plate to remove the gel and soap, leaving the transfer behind.

This has some variations from What Ron's instructions are, but I think it important enough to write about, because it shows that the exact conditions and equipment are not that critical.

Tom

This method is great for flat work, or curved in one dimension. Compound curved surfaces would be difficult, to say the least, with the stiffness of the film, and the rapid set up of the glue.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Do we have some cool minds amongst us or what? I may give this a try myself. Thanks Ron.
Good info!
Ron S

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks, Gary. I'd hate to end up scraping the glue off my engraving work!

i just tried the above process without the soap, and it works. it's harder to separate the film from the plate, though. The image transferred 100%.

One thing I think essential with crazy glue, is to squeegee it out as thin as possible. I have yet to try engraving with this type of transfer, but I imagine if the glue is thick, it will tend to flake off ahead of the graver.

I'll let you know.

Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors