GRS Emporia

woody

Well I am the type that always jumps in the deep end .I've just enrolled into the engraving coarse at GRS in june.Coming all the way from Australia to Emporia I think hell I want to make the best of this so I enrolled for two courses back to back.Now that I have 2 weeks there has any-one got any recommendations for accommodation In the fine town of Emporia. I'm guessing the best way to get to Emporia is via Kansas city.I await any advice on matter.
Kind regards
Woody

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Congratulations Woody - you're going to have a great time. :) Which classes have you signed up for?

Most of the class at GRS stays at the Candlewood Suites hotel. It's close by, clean, and they give the students a discount on the price if you're there for a class. The rooms also have a little kitchenette in them so you can buy some food and/or cook in your room if you want to.

I think most people fly into KC, but I drive, so I'll leave that question up to someone with more experience than me.

Put Bobby D's on you list of places to eat out if you like BBQ. The class usually gets around to that at least once. :)

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Woody,
GRS will provide you with a list of places to stay (information is also on their website). Tira is correct about Candlewood Suites being very nice. Having driven to Emporia from Kansas City and Wichita, I would prefer driving from Wichita. It is about 30 miles shorter and I just thought it to be an easier ride. It may be completed now, but there was about 20 miles of construction going the Kansas City route. Not sure about coming from 'down under', but the flight for me was considerably less expensive going to Kansis City, but then the car rental was less in Wichita.

You'll love the classes. GRS has a great facility there. I will be going in June also.

The Australian Open was a GREAT tournament. Some fantastic tennis was played by many.

Peter

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The ever-indulgent wife and I did a quick run down from KC on the 19th. She's coming along for my June class so we were scouting to see which place she'd like to stay.

Didn't notice any construction between KC and Emporia so if there's anything going on it's pretty miinor (but that could change come spring).

There are essentially three choices for lodging (at least when you limit yourself to the folks who give discounts to GRS students).

There's a fairly nice looking Bed & Breakfast - that's about the furthest thing from GRS and it's only a few miles more, in downtown.

Staying at the Candlewood is essentially getting a small apartment. That's what I did last time and what we'll probably do this next time. Housekeeping only comes once a week - the rest of the time you're on your own. Regular rooms are basically studio apartments. We'll probably get a 'suite' with the separate bedroom so I don't disturb her when I get up early.

Everything else is just a hotel room. All the ones we looked at looked fairly nice.

The Candelwood is across Industrial from the WalMart and does not have a pool. The others we looked at are pretty much all behind the Wal-Mart and have pools. Basically, with the Candelwood you can walk to Kentucky Fried Chicken easily (it just about shares the parking lot) and that's about it. With the others you can walk to several eating establishments and shops. But since you'll need a car anyway....

If you fly into KC I'd recommend going North from KCI to pick up 435 Southbound. That will slide you down across the West edge of the Metro. Eventually it turns to the East (435 is a loop) and you almost imediately take a left exit to I-35 South. That takes you all the way to Emporia. I live up somewhat near KCI and will either swing out to 435 or drop down 635 to pick up I-35 (depends on traffic levels).

I'd tell you to have fun at your classes but it'd be almost impossible not to. :)

Edited to add: Which classes / when in June? I'm taking the Intermediate class from Lee the first week.

woody

The big trip

Thank you all for your welcome and advice.So far I think that Candlewood seems to win the lodging stakes, might have something to do with the name:) The classes I have booked are June 9th-13th
and June 16th-20th.and Bobby D's will certainly be on my list of dinning out.
Looking forward to more feed back as it comes.
Woody