grs metal former

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i just bought a new grs metalforming tool to make a few bracelets. this allows engraving in the flat, and forming after. does that type forming operation cause sterling silver to work harden ? anyone know that has used this grs tool ?:D

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
One of the members on this forum has shown his bracelets made using the tool you have. You will probabley get an answer soon. I can say that sterling does work harden from bending however.

Peter

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, when I make bracelets I engrave them flat & beat um' to shape on a bracelet mandrel.
I use a rawhide hammer for this operation, they do get a bit springy but works quite fine for me.
Kent

diane

Hi Monk. Yes, the forming tool does work harden the sterling. It will stiffen up the bracelet making it stronger, as well as giving it a more elegant shape. I use 18 ga. sterling (about .042") when applying a border of some type of wire. If there is no applied edge, I would use 16 ga. (.050") sterling. Same with gold, of course. I have made many bracelets with many different types of borders and various overlays, and the forming tools has handled them all. I do put masking tape on both sides of the bracelet, just in case, before the forming. If I am setting stone, I make the pilot hole before forming, but do the seating and setting after. Diane

monk

Staff member
thanks very much. i ordered my first batch of sterling in .050, but couldn' remember if the stuff work hardens.
if you're diane scalese, where/how can i buy a copy of your western style engraving video ?

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Monk, I've been using the GRS Metal Forming Tool for over a year...It works great.
Hope you have much success with it.
Here's a shot of a bracelet I did for my daughter Sarah recently.
This one is almost identical to one I did for a benefit auction last month. Daughter loved it and had to have one.

monk

Staff member
GREAT PIECE. I REMEMBER LOOKING AT A COUPLE OTHER PIECES YOU HAD MADE. all were very nice looking. i want to do one, at least with the medic alert symbol and naturally some goodies to go along with it. i made bracelets years ago the hard way but after seeing this grs gadget, hay that's a time saver ! now, if that diane lady would only sell me a video ! hint hint monk45@verizon.net , diane

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
Brian,
Any chance of you taking picture while for forming a bracelet and posting it?
Jim

Powderhorn

Elite Cafe Member
Monk:
go to the FEGA site, and look in there merchandise secton, they have her tape, and a casting of her bright cut work.

monk

Staff member
what a numbskull ! all this time i've wanted this tape and forgot about the fega store ! i just bought it ! hay powderhorn, i owe you one ! thanx ! the monkster

Latest posts

Sponsors