Announcement: Gun Writer Michael McIntosh Passes

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For those of us who are fans of fine guns, it is sad to learn of the sudden death of author Michael McIntosh. The following is from The Outdoor Pressroom.

Author, shotgunner Michael McIntosh, 66

Endeared sporting writer Michael McIntosh, author of Shotguns and Shooting, Best Guns, Wild Things and columnist for Sporting Classics magazine, died August 14 at the age of 66. A Shakespearean scholar and English professor, McIntosh had a devoted following, many of whom shared his affinity for beautiful women, quality shotguns, single malt Scotch, pipes and fine tobacco. "...Home is the sailor, home from the sea, And the hunter home from the hill."

Requiscat in pace

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, thats sudden. Had he been ill? I have'nt run into him in several years, but have had some correspondence with him in the past and the occasional gun show "hi". Other than his tirade against black guns a decade ago, He was fine writer and an asset to the custom gun community. I'll drink some single malt tonight in his memory.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Roger, thanks for the info. It is sad to hear. I did not become a fan of Mike's work untill about 12 years ago when he was writing with David Travillion on gunsmith tips in the Shooting Sportsman. His writings always left me feeling good and optimistic.

He is missed.

Ed DeLorge

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Wow, thats sudden. Had he been ill?

As I understand it, his death was sudden and totally unexpected.

It goes to something Steve Fjestad said to me in Reno this year. He was taking pictures of everybody he knew and he told me that he does that because he never knows when it will be his last opportunity to say hello or take the person's picture. I started doing the same thing.

R

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a shame. Mike was one of the very few (very, very, few) who not only knew the subject matter, but was an excellent writer, as well. Those two qualities are all too rare in the hook-n-bullet press. He'll be missed.

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Roger, last time I talked to David Travellion about ten years ago. He told me that he was not going to be doing the gunsmith article in Shooting sportsman any longer because his writer ( Michael McIntosh) had suffered a major heart attach and was in poor health. I suppose that had something to do with it.

Ed DeLorge

Barry Lee Hands

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Michael was a good friend and mentor.
I sent him a couple of manuscripts to edit when I first started writing.
He was always very helpful.
Charles Sauer and I built and engraved a Knife for him in gratitude for his many kindnesses.
Here is a pic of Michael and I with the knife at the Vintagers in 2004 or so.

He will be missed.

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What sad news. I got on really well with Mike. I remember the time I was staying with Dave Trevallion and McIntosh came to stay for a week or so. He spent all week making a beautiful turnscrew for his shotgun only to find that the material he used folded like butter when he used it. We had a great laugh about it and he kept it as an ornamental piece. We sat around in the evenings drinking scotch and playing guitar. He'll be sadly missed but he's left some great memories behind him.