Hand cut rasps

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
While not totally appropriate, this is somewhat related to engraving and wood carving. The little rasps I made for working various sections of the relief carving are pictured below. They were shaped from tool steel, then hand cut with chisels to form the teeth, then hardened.

I wonder at the work of the old masters, and wonder how they acheived what they did with the tools they had.

The surface left by these little rasps is remarkably smooth. It's ready for scraping. This is for a jaeger rifle, ca. 1750, and will be a scraped and burnished finish on the wood. No sandpaper allowed.

Enjoy!

Tom

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
30-some odd years ago I watched a blacksmith in a small Italian mountain village hand cut rasps for stonework. He was amazing to watch- fast and exceedingly consistent, diagonal rows of equal tiny teeth. I still have some of those rasps. When they get really dull you can dip them in muriatic acid, then wash them off; it cuts back the background.

gail.m

Elite Cafe Member
'scraping'

Tom,
when you say it is ready for scraping, what do you use? I once watched my great-uncle finish an axe-handle he had made. He used a piece of broken glass, and when he was finished with it it was as smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom!
Gail

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Gail, I use standard cabinet scrapers, available from Woodcraft. I also made a variety of small scrapers from spring steel. These go from sraight to curved in assorted widths and radii.

Gargoyle, that's a great tip on sharpening rasps.

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
the hand picked rasps are available from woodcraft as well. I make my scrapers for various shapes out of 0-1 tool steel it holds an edge a long time.
Kent

B_H

Japanese bladesmiths use a two handed tool called a "Sen". It is essentially the same tool as these rasps, and very effective at removing material. They are also used in leaving a specific pattern on the tang secton over which they engrave their specific information regarding the blade. Bill

Bill Tokyo

Maybe I'm speaking out of turn here, but I'll bet Colonial gun smiths had lots of materials for
smoothing wood other than burnishers. I've used burnishers a lot, and they work just fine.

However, there are many materials other people use for sanding. A popular one is fish skin, as well
as certain types of grasses. In Italy various types of pumice powder were used. there are many others,
so for complete authenticity, I think you may find that there is a wider range of smoothing materials
than just burnishers.

If you don't know about them already, there's a great resource for books on early tools and
technology, Astral Press. They specialize in books on tools and processes of the 17th, 18th and early 19th century. Although it's mostly geared towards wood working, there's an
growing number of books they publish on metal working also. Nothing at present aimed at engravers,
but there are some interesting looking books for both black smiths and white smiths.

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have found some very useful tools for modifying surface materials in minute spaces in dental equipment. I picked up a retired dentists Gerstner tool box full of tools a while back, and there are some very useful implements.

Of course there are many that I have no clue what they are as well, but they are interesting!

They seem to be very available at flea markets.

Peter

Gargoyle

Official Cafe Stone Carver
Here are some of the Italian hand-cut rasps. They were made by Milani, in the village of Pomezzana. The three straight ones on the bottom are standard, the handled and ring rasps are unusual. (probably experiments they tried, they aren't too useful)

Attachments

• Italian_stone_rasps.jpg
    Italian_stone_rasps.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 68

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Gargaoyle, thanks for posting that picture. I have some tools about that size. Not the circular one, tho.

I'm not looking for a supplier, by the way. I am very happy to make my own. I get EXACTLY the shape I want, when I want it.

I wonder how many centuries Milano has been cutting rasps? The Italian gunwork is stunning. Maybe Milano supplied the trade two or three hundred years ago?