Hi to everyone

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
Hi everyone
I've been lurking around the forum for a while now and thought I should introduce myself.
I was apprenticed to a jewellery engraver 30 odd years ago, here in the UK, when apprenticeships existed, eventually
setting up on my own. I left engraving fulltime about 10 - 12 years ago as I could not find enough work
to keep my family. I've just been doing odd bits and pieces over the past few years to keep my hand in.
I have just purchased the Gravermach set up, couple of hand pieces, power hone etc. It was finding this forum
that lit the flame again, seeing some of the fantastic work,hearing about some of the kit that's available
today. I remember my early days, wanting to start gun engraving, but never being able to break into the
market. Looking in the sporting gun mags, wondering at the work of the likes of Ken Hunt etc.
I've tapped into the custom bike and car market, not in the same league as you guys, lot heavier work,
big areas of engine covers, carving deep backgrounds out etc. Did do some years ago, but with push gravers,
it was hard going, played havoc with my hands. With the gravermach it's a doddle.
The nickel carving looks and sounds like good fun,but I'll have to make some nice fine tools up.
The John Barraclough gravers look good but finding that brass tubing here in the UK, in fact finding
anything in the UK frustrating.
I've waffled enough..... just like to say this is a brilliant forum.... thanks Sam.... keep up the excellent work.

Cheers

Degs:D

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome Degs,

You have just entered the realm of a bunch of fantastic people. If you have any pictures of your work please post them if possible. Enjoy your visits here and do visit often, it's a great place to fellowship and learn. Cheers, Tim

Degs

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the welcome Tim. Here's one I did earlier, it's a kawasaki clutch cover. As I said, this is heavy work, not on the same level as you guys. I'll be doing some finer work in the future and hopefully I can post it. Sorry pic is not too clever.

Cheers again

Degs

Attachments

• Kwakz900.jpg
    Kwakz900.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 112

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the welcome Tim. Here's one I did earlier, it's a kawasaki clutch cover. As I said, this is heavy work, not on the same level as you guys. I'll be doing some finer work in the future and hopefully I can post it. Sorry pic is not too clever.

Cheers again

Degs

looks pretty awesome to me, and I have cut more motorcycle parts than I wish I had...

Latest posts

Sponsors