hi

warfox

just wanted to say hi to you all
and am looking forward to learning a lot from you as I'm not just new to this but about to try for the very first time so i am going over many posts looking for answers before asking the dumbest questions

Graham

threefingerdave

Elite Cafe Member
Graham,
Welcome aboard
If you are really into learning, i feel that there are no dumb questions...
It is good to look at the past post as there is a lifetime of awesome information here.
don't forget to check out the photo gallery
Dave

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
there really is a dumb question--- the one you're reluctant to ask. if you ask it, then it's a smart one !!

jimzim75

Elite Cafe Member
So, what are you trying to say or ask? Bring it on we know everything to know about engraving.
We're happy to share. Welcome to the forum.
Jim

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome to the forum!

Let's see, #1 tip - learn how to sharpen your gravers properly and keep them sharp!

warfox

thank you all for the warm welcome
the reason i have joined the forums to learn engraving is that i am starting to gather enough information to make ....dont laugh ..........a sword this will be based on a viking or leaf blade design probably using Damascus steel i intend to make the sword and embark on the leather work and the final engraving if i mange to master the first two hurdles i rely want to make sure i understand how to finish with engraving
before you think I'm some kind of sword wielding maniac
i come from the Isle Of Man with a great history from the viking and Celtic influences and Strong family heritage i am striving to encompass all of this into a symbol that represents my past and ancestors and feel sword is befitting
i have 30 years in welding and fabrication so working with steel is me really i want to now learn 3 great crafts sword smith leather working and engraving
so there will be a lot of questions as i have a 2 year ish quest to get to the finniest item i hope and from there who nows what i might achieve :)

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Welcome warfox! You will have quite a bit to learn and digest on your journey to complete your sword. The fact that the project is so personal to you will probably be a great help while you acquire the skills because you will have the end goal in mind. Ask away with the questions. I don't think the forum has not answered a question yet - someone always seems to know the answer. :)

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Don't Laugh?

Warfox,

The only reason anyone here would laugh about your ideas is because they are so close to ideas many of us have had. You definitely have found the right place for information, though, because if the great throbbing brain that is the engraver's cafe doesn't have the answer, they will steer you to the right place. By the way, as a long time coin collector I was wondering, do all the wonderful designs released by the Isle of Man actually circulate or are they mainly for the collector market?

Welcome aboard!

Joe Paonessa

Last edited:

Christine

Welcome-- I'm sure you will love this cafe. The group is so willing the help us newbies! From my reading here I think there are enough "Western folk" to assist you in the leather processes too. --If not I'll get my husband to help you, he has cut and tooled leather for years. All the best!

warfox

well it is nice to have so many any replies on a forum
tnx again to you all

Joe coins on the island i have to say that i have not taken a lot of notice i do quite often bring coins home for the kids if i think there different but i think they get spent when there desperate for sweet money :)

and help in leather will be great TN Christine nice hubby :)

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sounds to me like you are already crazy like the rest of the nuts here on the forum. they are all a bit, well- touched ! my old lady keeps me locked in a rubber-lined room most of the time !

Steve Adams

Elite Cafe Member
Graham,
Glad to see you decided to join. I hope you find all your answers . Steve