How do I darken pencil sketches for making transfers?

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
I am wanting to to turn my pencil sketches into engraveable transfers.

Several questions come to mind.

One, if I scan my images, how do I get them dark enough to print onto transparency film? Two, Is there a simple image manipulation program that you use that allows image rotation/scaling/darkening?

Thanks, Tom

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Tom,

Take a look at Inkscape, a freeware program that will likely fulfill your needs. I use it to overdraw sketches and then remove the background image leaving an outline that can be resized, mirrored, allows line weight changes, etc.

Current developments at the following URL:
http://www.inkscape.org/screenshots/

Download the software from Sourceforge here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/inkscape

Gary

Andrew Biggs

Hi Tom

A very quick and easy way to do it is.
1. Draw design in pencil or whatever you use
2. Overlay tacing paper
3. Trace outlines only using a .5 tecnical pen (steel nib-not felt)
4. Scan, size etc..then print.

Gary

That looks like a cool programe that you put the link to. I must have a look at it.

Cheers

Andrew

KSnyder

Elite Cafe Member
this seemed logical to me so I tried it and it worked. I use 4B pencil for the elements of the scrollwork or whatever your cutting. I use the tallow/beeswax for a transfer medium. just lay on the design & burnish it will come out pretty clear if your lines are crisp to start. I use this a bit with very good results its fast & easy, now if the engraving went as well................:rolleyes:
Kent

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the info. I also found the post about making transfers from inkjet printers. I may give that a try, too.

I will try the pencil to plate with the beeswax method. Sounds totally direct and easy.

Some of my sketches are in sketchbooks, and I don't want to ruin them. For these, I will continue to work on getting the scan/transfer method to work for me.....

I appreciate your help, everyone. I am new to many, many aspects of engraving, and find such reassurance when all of you JUMP to help me out.

Thanks again,
Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors