How to make a ground glass?

ED DELORGE

Elite Cafe Member
Does any one know precisley how to make a ground glass for a 4 X 5 box camera? If so what type of abrassive, grit and air pressure to use when blasting the glass?

I was talking to one of my MASTER TEACHERS (Sam Welch) whom I had a brief opportunity to study under too many moons ago. Sam taught me to do picture transfers using the technique taught in Meeks Book on Engraving. Anyway, In the conversation Sam told me about using a photo enlarger to do transfers instead of a box camera. All you need to do is put a ground glass on the back of the enlarger and away you go.

At that point I told him of how I had figured out a way to put my microscope behind my box camera to improve my vision when scribing a transparency. So, I just bought a photo enlarger off of Ebay and now I need a ground glass. I have found them on ebay for about 20 bucks, but if I can make one easily, I will.

All that brings us back to the origional question of how to make a ground glass?

Does any one Know, your help would be appreicated.

Ed DeLorge

Bill Tokyo

Photo enlargements

While I'm really puzzled why you are using this technique for photo enlargments--there seem much
easier ways-grinding glass is no problem.

There is probably a glass company in your vicintity that has sand blasting equipment that can do it in
a giffy for you. Lots of sign and tombstone makers have the same equipment.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
sandblasting produces too rough a surface to get a clear, sharp focus. you want to go to a crafters' outlet that sells armor etch. it's a creme that etches glass. it contains hydrogen flouride. smear this on pre-cleaned glass according to the directions, and you will get an etch that is smooth enough for photographic focusing.
do this outside, and do not get it on your skin, period !! it's not reall xpensive either.

Swede

sandblasting produces too rough a surface to get a clear, sharp focus. you want to go to a crafters' outlet that sells armor etch. it's a creme that etches glass. it contains hydrogen flouride. smear this on pre-cleaned glass according to the directions, and you will get an etch that is smooth enough for photographic focusing.
do this outside, and do not get it on your skin, period !! it's not reall xpensive either.

Wow, there's actually a product that contains HF? (Hydrogen Fluoride) That stuff is lethal! Be careful, as Monk says.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
or you might try a piece of "matte" antiglare glass. that stuff might work. but i'm with whatzhis name, there's way easier ways to skin that cat. faster and mor accurate as well.

Latest posts

Sponsors