Inexpensive compressor

I've gotten a lot of great feedback on the compressor question that I posted earlier. Here is a spin on it. Would any of you have a recommendation for a compressor if the price limit was $250 or under?? -Scott

I've looked at airbrush compressors (constant sound wouldn't bother me, I'm one of those people who doesn't mind white noise) but I can't seem to find one that meets the minimum requirements for the gravermach (1.4 cfm and 45psi). The other thing I have looked at is a 6 gallon Husky oil less compressor from Home depot for $149. Aside from noise, is there anything wrong with a standard oil less air compressor? I could run a pvc line from the basement to my studio. Aside from not having the funds for a Jun or Sil air, part of me has an issue with spending more on the single duty compressor than the graver? Is there any hope?? Thanks for the feedback. -Scott

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
I can't reccomend a specific Compressor. There are many out there that would be adequate but will offer some drawbacks. As I recall you were working in a third floor studio and noise and disturbing other tenants might be the biggest. If you have to stay within that budget you would need to muffle the compressor.
You could put the compressor in an insulated box( be sure to make it big enough that overheating is not a problem. You could even put carpet on the outside (like a speaker box) to increase sound deadening. I would insulate it inside and carpet outside.
I have a 30 gal Compressor in my garage that did not cost much more than you specify( $269(I Think) at Walmart). But that might be a bear to get up the stairs and would definately need muffling in your envoirnment.

As far as the oiless vs oil compressor, I have mixed emotions. My first compressor in the garage was an oil cooled machine. In Iowa we sometimes get below zero weather and I either had to change to a "winter grade oil" or it would not start cold.My current compressor is oil less. They are noisier and may have a shorter lifespan because of being oiless. The upside is winter or summer it's instant start. Like I said I use it in the shop to run impact wrenches, grinders and is more a mechanics tool than one would normally use in a studio.

Last edited:
Jim, We live in a house and I don't really have neighbors to worry about so that won't be a problem. I also did some looking around and I may be able to set up a 1st floor engraving studio in what is now an office, then I would only have to go up a floor from the basement. So this might work. The thing I liked about the compressor from Home Depot is that it is semi portable, oil free, and has the needed out put. My biggest concern was that by using a regular oil free compressor I might end up damaging the gravermach. If noise is the only issue I think I can find a way to get around it. By the way, mind if I ask where your from in Iowa? I'm up in Decorah. -Scott

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Scott: Colfax is on I 80 between Newton(10 miles) and Des Moines(25 miles) at exit 155. I commute to Des Moines every day.
Just a sleepy little bedroom Community where everyone commutes to work somewhere else and sleeps in Colfax. I love that alpine area of NE Iowa where Decorah is and often vacation up that way in summer.
Ha! guess I don't have to tell you about Iowa winters! I can't imagine commuting around those ridges and through the valleys up there in winter.

Sorry I think I got you mixed up in the other thread when I mentioned the third floor studio?

Jim,
Great to run into a fellow Iowan, and I know what you mean about winters! Nope you didn't get me mixed up, my main studio where I do most of my clean work on knives is on the third floor, just thinking about adding an engraving studio on the first (gotta use the office for something besides storing books!) If you ever get up here this summer give me a shout! -Scott

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Scott: When I get up that way I sure will look you up. I checked out your web site and it is really cool.
While I am interested in blacksmithing and blade smithing I have never pursued it.
You make some fine blades.

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Nice to know there are more Iowan's out there.
Me born and raised in Cedar Rapids wife is from Knoxville
rest of the family in Pleasantville and around the area.

Living in Colorado now but I sure do iss the fishing there.

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Nice to know there are more Iowan's out there.
Me born and raised in Cedar Rapids wife is from Knoxville
rest of the family in Pleasantville and around the area.

Living in Colorado now but I sure do iss the fishing there.

That is cool! I was born in Knoxville (about 30 miles SE) and have lived most of my life one county north.
My little brother is in Cedar Edge, Co on the western slope. Funny you mention the fishing, My dad spent 10 yrs in New Mexico after retiring from Maytag. He has become a "trout fishing snob," and goes to Colorado to visit my brother and fish a couple times every year.

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
Maybe you knew my wife
She was Linda Galvin - back in the early days. Brother is John Galvin - Sister Monti.
Dad was Lerlia - hes the nut that put together the flat track out there in ancient times. He was also a cop.

One county north the family name is Lemon. Mostly farmers and probably all dead by now.

Trout are a lot like carp after you have lived with them long enough. Can't beat Iowa for eating fish.
Ever eat at Shorties out on the hiaway - it's gone now but it was awesome food.

I get back there once in a while. Knock off a a meal in the Amana's and vist my old man who is still living in the SW side of CR at the age of 97.

Just a note about those Home Depot compressors.

I bought one of those new 70 percent quieter 18 gallon systems they offer. Needless to say it went back. I have never heard anything so loud and obnoxious in my life. I think they have 3 little pistons in there now running at high rpms and they draw a lot of power. I have an older 1 lunger 5 gallon and tied it to an external tank. It's not all that bad. But you can hear it from the basement too.

Before you buy anything have them plug it in - saves hauling stuff back and forth.

Harbor Freight has some nice airbrush compressors but count on rebuilding anything you get from them in a week or so. Better to save the money and get a silent one with a decent brand name.

They do come in airbrush sized models. If you are good with a torch there are some neat tricks on the web about building your own system from an old fridge compressor. Not much too it, other than finding a decent freezer/fridge compressor motor to rip one out of. New ones are about 850 so better to look on craigs list or something like that for a decent fridge.

The bury the fridge in the ground and make it a worm bed.
run about 850 new -

I think the way to go is run a 220 line and put in one of those big old tall tank models. More air for the buck. Run them once a month and cut like crazy.

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Coincutter: I can't really say I know the people you mention. Though the family names are familiar.
My father went to work at Maytag in 1953 and moved the family to Newton, then to Colfax and back to Newton in 1964. However all my kin live in Marion, Mahaska and Monroe counties so I spent a lot of time down that way. Yes I have eaten at Shortys and at Checkerboard Pizza in Pleasantville.
And yes I have spent a lot of time at the Knoxville Track where they run the Sprintcar Nationals every year.

Swede

There's a ton of good information already here, but I'll toss in a couple of pennies...

Any of the modestly sized consumer air compressors from a hardware store like Lowe's or Home Despot will work with any engraving tool, be it a Lindsay or GRS. But they are ALL loud. Everyon'es tolerance is different for noise, but at a minimum, I'd recommend you hear it before you buy. Suggestion - route air line to your studio rather than have the compressor under your desk. The AC kicking on and off can be quite distracting.

Oiless, oiled, all OK, and in any case you want to filter the air. In order:

Compressor : Filter/separator : Regulator : Filter/separator : Engraving tool

I'd go with a dual filter system. The separators have little stop-cocks at the bottom to drain off water. In addition, the compressor will have a cock at the bottom too, and this needs to be purged quite frequently. If you've never done it, you'll be surprised at how much water is in the compressor tank. It needs to come out to keep the corrosion down.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Scott..I have a Sears Craftsman 30 gallon air compressor in my root cellar underneath my dining room...35foot hose..runs up the side of the house..though a hole in the bottom of the window..into my shop..where it is connected to a water trap. From the water trap there is another hose with a connection..I can plug in my Gravermax, my Lindsay air graver, etc. The trick is to get that air compressor as far away from your shop as possible...it works for me. Good luck on your new adventure.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
School of Artistic Engraving
Manassas, VA
www.angelfire.com/va2/engraver

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Scott,

If you are into building your own compressor, you could get everything you need from the Surplus Center.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/air.asp?UID=2007050507512806&catname=air

Run the compressor a little slower than its max rating to really cut the noise down. It's easy to do with a belt drive compressor but not cost effective with a direct drive compressor.

The shopping list includes: a compressor ($110), tank ($40-120), motor ($70-100), pulley for the motor ($8-9), pressure switch with unloader (DSV-$20), check valve ($12-40), belt (local purchase), pressure gage ($5), pressure relief valve ($4), and misc fittings and valves ($??). Total cost is really determined by what you may already have available.

Gary

Latest posts

Sponsors