Inlays, help!!!

poco

Because of lack of space on the slide of a Colt 1911, I need to put gold inlays into the pistols Tru-ivory grips. My plan is to cut out the figures from sheet gold, inlay and then engrave the details. What would you recommend as an adhesive? Also what kind of gold should I use and what thickness would work best? Any sharing of experience is much appreciated.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Poco,
For sheet inlay into gun grips I use 18K gold.
I solder at least two short pieces of gold wire to the undeside to act as rivets.
The back of the inlay is roughend and is cemented into the cavity.
I use high quality clear silicon adhisive for this because it does not set rock hard and allows for the gold and the ivory to expand slightly at different rates.
When things have "set-up" I dome the head of the little wires on the inside of the grips with a dotting punch.
Hope this helps, best of luck with your project.
John B.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Poco, an addition.
I use 18K for engraved pistol grip inlays to help avoid wear.
It is still soft enough to form to the curve of the grips.
The pin/rivets are good insurance against heavy recoil.
Best, John B.

poco

John:

Thanks for the info. Very helpful indeed. I hadn't thought about the pins but it's a great idea to secure the inlay. Do you have any suggestions as to what thickness of gold sheet I should purchase? I don't have any experience in this area and, consequently, at a loss as to how to proceed. I need a piece that is mallable but thick enough to take the engraving.

Thanks,

poco

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hello Poco.
The thickness depends on what and how you are going to engrave it.
Also on your skill at cutting a good, smooth bottom cavity at an even depth.
I have used anywhere from .010, 30Ga to .025, 22Ga if doing raised sculpture.
Naturally, with gold being at the elevated prices now you want to use the thinnest that will work.
When the customer wanted to save money I have laminated a thin sheet of gold by soldering it to a piece of silver sheet as a backing.
You might get an idea of the thickness you need for your style of engraving by practicing on a piece of silver first.
Failing this, you would be pretty safe starting with .020, 24Ga.
Best of luck with the project, John B.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors