'Is This Anything?'

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
The question is taken from a skit Conan O'Brian use to do on his late show. Another of his skits shows Frankenstein all excited about finding the simpelist of things.

The latter may apply to me more. I think I have discovered a way to create some pretty involved desings using the simple draw program I have. 'Microsoft paint'.

Since some of the medicine I take for my COPD makes my hands shake I don't draw much. No more prednisone please.

What do you all think? Can I get by using my simple paint program for layouts?

Jim Sackett

Attachments

• Father.JPG
    Father.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 185
  • border5.JPG
    border5.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 225
  • border8.JPG
    border8.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 261

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Jim,

I think that you can use anything that will work for you.

I happen to like a free program called Inkscape that is available at the following link:

http://www.inkscape.org/index.php?lang=en

Inkscape produces smooth line designs (vector graphics) that are easily manipulated without breaking the lines into blurred pixels. There are manuals and tutorials available by clicking on Documentation in the General section of the left side banner menu.

Give it a try.

Gary

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim,
been there, done that half a cup a prednisone every morning rutine-I might suggest the templates that both GRS nan NgraveR have-lots of sizes and easy on the hands-Fred

monk

Staff member
life can be a female dog. i have a body tremor. aint too bad till you start using the zoomer at whatever the power. sort of like workin during maybe a 4.5. i don't much like it , but have accepted what i cant do much about. tgary is correct. whatever you can make work for you is what you do. no 2 of us probably do the same thing exactly alike. what counts, really, is the result !

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Jim

There is no right or wrong way or computer program to design your engravings.

The thing that works best ......... is whatever works best for you. If Microsoft paint works for you then use it.

The really important thing is you are doing it. Get into it, have fun and enjoy doing it. Nothing else matters.

Another good idea is what Marrinan has suggested with the GRS/NGraver scroll template kits.

That is some mighty fine lettering layouts you are doing there.

Cheers
Andrew

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jim, don't see anything wrong with that....looks pretty good to me......carry on!............Ron S

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Hi Gary.
Have you experienced any problems with your computer while using the Inkscape program, please?
Just a question from a computer dummy because my security program gave me a warning that it was a high risk website when I clicked on the link.

Thanks for any input, John B.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Thanks for the information, Gary.
When I open attachments to email my security automatically checks for virus.
But can you tell this computer dummy how to check a download, please?

Thanks for the help, John B.

TallGary

:::Pledge Member:::
John,

I use AVG Anti-Virus. I can open the AVG Control Center and click on the Test Center button which brings up a new window with three options-- scan computer, scan selected areas, and check for updates. If I click on scan selected areas it brings up the file structure of the computer and allows me to click on drives and folders on the drives. I download everything to a file folder called My Downloads--I didn't think that up, the PC arrived with several default file folders and that was one of them.

I usually scan the entire My Downloads file folder.

Your anti-virus may be somewhat different but it likely has a similar function built in.

Jim -- sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Gary

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Small river town in Illinois

Hi Gary,

I got into that site you told me about. Thank you I'm a little afrade of it. Looks pretty complicated. I have MS Publisher and Power Point they both seem to complicated. I downloaded a trial program of Coral Draw to complicated.

I used to live in Elgin IL for about 10 years. Had to move up north becaue of the humidity.

Thanks for your feed back.

Jim Sackett