Help, please: ISO 0.5 auxiliary lens, 35mm mounting thread

Mattline

I have an old Bausch & Lomb stereo microscope with 10x objective lenses and I need a 0.5x auxiliary lens to lengthen my working area. The issue is, it needs to have 38mm threads. I cannot find any. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i think most any .5 will work. a difference of a mm or two should not matter. ugly but use hot melt to affix the lens in place. i did such for my leica. don't use super glue; it can fog the lens!!!!!

Meshach

I have a similar scope to yours, and just made this same change s couple of months ago.
I couldn't find a .5 with the right thread and what was just as annoying was the fact that all the ring adaptors were 1mm difference..
As monk said you can just hot glue it on.
I wanted the option to switch back and forth without having to re-glue if I should have a crazy need for more magnification so I ended up getting an inexpensive ($20) 48mm .5 barlow lense on Amazon and a pack of step up ring adaptors, but as I said there is a 1mm difference oversize and it doesn't fit, so I put some cotton balls over the lense, sprayed on a little mold release agent and applied JB-quick to the threads and put it in the oversized ring adapter, when it dried i removed it to make sure that the release agent had worked then I hot glued the ring adaptor into place, so now I have a ring adaptor attached by hotglue with epoxy threads that I can use to remove the lense should I desire..
that being said I have almost always run my scope on .7 with the 10x eyepieces and now I still have the ability to get 15x zoom so I don't expect to need to take it off and could probably just as well have put the barlow on with the hotglue..
side note: if you ever need to remove hotglue from pretty much any non fabric/(non- mechanically bonded) or non-waterproof surface just use a few drops of isopropyl alcohol (higher percentage works best) at the edge of the glue, it will weep it's way underneath and release it right off with little to no mess and since the alcohol is a fairly mild it's pretty safe to use on most water proof surfaces.
Here are a couple of pictures if you want to see what my lense and ring look like.
added bonus my ring light fits on the barlow now so i could move it forward to mount underneath the scope pointing straight down instead of mounting slightly backwards and below.
View attachment 52842

View attachment 52843 View attachment 52844

Mattline

Thank you everyone for the input. I will do some more online shopping today.