Jeweler's saw woes under the microscope

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Bill, Scott, I have one of the "jigsaw" machines that uses the jeweler's blades. Bought it from Micro Mark and used it to do the piercing work on the scroll overlay on my Model A steering wheel. That was in 1/16 in. aluminum. Worked great and solved my problem of holding the saw vertical. I always seemed to get slanting cuts that gave me problems. As I recall, the price was about $150.

Sam

Weldon47

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott,

Learned this from an old hillbilly engraver & thought it might help you some too.
Tie the handle of your jeweler's saw to your hound dawgs hind leg with a piece of rope. Next, get him positioned right next to the vise and give him a good belly rub until he gets "banjo leg" and continue until the piece is sawn out. The dawgs tail will keep the chips off the work piece so you can see where yer cuttin! Also, carefully selecting the right dawg is imperative to the success of this technique. For example, for delicate, tiny work a chihuahua is needed while a dachshund is used in Germanic scroll work, etc.etc.....

Hope this helps,

Weldon

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Weldon, you're a riot.
I darn nearly fell out of my chair laughing.
Thank you.

Sam, I bought one of those Micro-Mark jig saws but sold it because it did not seem to have enough power.
Maybe I just got a bad one because I don't think mine would have sawn out 1/16" aluminum as you did.
I probably should have returned it for an exchange because yours sure did some great work for you.
Bet that steering wheel looks great with your revolver gear shift lever.

John B.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Mike, yes, that is the steering wheel on my 1928 Model A roadster pickup truck I have owned for 51 years. (I must have been just a babe). Here is a full shot of it. And yes, John it looks great along with the 1849 Colt pocket pistol shift knob. It is a real delight to pull the trigger and listen to the Aoooga horn blast away.

PS...it took me a few months to make this wheel, cutting the wheel from 1/8th stainless steel and making the wood parts from bastogne walnut and turning the wheel adapter from 4" diameter aluminum stock. S

Attachments

• wheel 2.jpg
    wheel 2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That must be one Fancy Model A with that steering wheel and the engraved gearshift lever.

That is a gorgeous steering wheel.

Peter

Latest posts

Sponsors